Hope

At the end of the meal, some went to their rooms, while others visited the palace. The Prince and Crown Princess retired to their flat, while Major Halvorsen stayed with the Queen. They walk together through the corridors, which he barely recognises, but which he has visited in the past when the weather was pleasant and life less obscure. Night has fallen quite early on this seventh week of spring, and the fresh wind announces the regrets of winter. The light of the full moon reflects off the alpha's grey armour, his orange cape billowing in the wind. They take a stair caseleading to a black door. The door opens without them even needing to open it, men dressed in black hooded drapes sheltering the gloomy room. Candles light up the room, but you can't see the faces of the employees. Some are praying to gods that nobody believes in any more, some are lighting new candles while others are tending to the body of the deceased. At the sight of her, the man stiffens for a few seconds, but quickly recovers. He distances himself from the old queen and looks at the lifeless body of his former adversary from adistance.

Her eyes closed with orange eyeshadow make-up, her blond hair turning white with age. Her pale, ageing skinglows strangely in this huge, dark room. The commander soon realised that he had never wanted to set foot in the room that blesses the deceased members of the royal family, and would never want to.

"How do you find her ?"

The Queen suddenly asked, taken aback by the question, and he breathed in and out before answering.

"Rest."

"And on the battlefield ?"

"Enraged."

She swallows her saliva loudly and takes the hand of the deceased.

"Did she have any regrets ?"

"Yes, but I cannot say what they were, Your Majesty."

"Everyone out."

The blessers from beyond the grave, praying briefly in turn, look at each other briefly and the next second comply. The echo of the last footsteps leaving the room resounds before the roar of the dark doors closing. The old woman lets go of the corpse's hand and turns around the marble table where the body lies. She stands facing the commander and the two stare a teach other for an untold moment.

"Aleksander Halvorsen, hero of the crown."

He nods briefly in thanks for the title, although he doesn't think he deserves it.

"I should give you my daughter's hand in marriage."

The knight's heart begins to beat faster, he doesn't like the idea. He looks up at her.

"At least, that's what she would want."

The old alpha exhales.

"I'm an illegitimate son, it doesn't seem like a good idea."

"Public opinion is on your side."

Forced to obey, he doesn't know what to say and doesn't want to offend her any further.

"My sister's death was my choice, Major Halvorsen."

The young man's lips parted.

"It was my decision that she should be on this table as we speak."

He nods, but such a heavy burden cannot be lifted so easily.

"This four months have terrorised our nation as if we had been at war for four hundred years. If the Queen rises, so her people must rises too."

"Yes, your grace."

"Good," she finally breathed. "Don't worry about Francine, she'll soon forget all about you and will be busy taking up her duties as future sovereign."

"What about Prince Hubert ?"

"I give his hand to Princess Belinda."

The young alpha's eyes automatically fell on the face of the fallen princess.

"My clan is divided and my power is waning. I once promised her father that I would look after her, even though she is not of royal blood. Enemy or not, I have lost too much to wish death on someone close to me."

Belinda is not of royal blood, she is the daughter of the late Princess's ex-husband. Before the divorce, the Queen gave her the title of Princess, even though she was not the child of Princess Vibeke de Skov. She had always liked the little girl who had now become a young woman, and she had never shown any animosity despite the fact that her former mother-in-law had tried to usurp her twin's crown. The blond nodded thoughtfully.

"War is over quickly," she starts to say in a tired voice. "Old queens understand each other after all."

Not knowing what she was getting at, the knight listened attentively.

"It was the kingdom of Erath that warned me of the coup d'état against me."

Aleksander's face naturally shows surprise.

"Erath..." he murmurs to himself.

"We prepared in advance by pretending, but the result is still the same."

Alex wants to ask her more, but it's amatter of political secrecy, and his look of curiosity is worth a thousand words. But she won't say anything, he knows that.

"Your garrison was the closest to the usurper's advance, and your success was a surprise to everyone."

"Protecting the crown remains our main mission."

"Free your heart of all modesty and guilt. Your next duty awaits you."

Still all ears, he hangs on her lips.

"For years I have searched for the flame of hope, and as one help never comes without another in return, I am ready to share our light with my allies of tomorrow."

Halvorsen's eyebrows furrow at this new enigma.

"Aleksander Halvorsen, you are our hope, and I offer you to the kingdom of Erath."

His heart thumps against his temple in astonishment.

"Your mission is to save them, as you are doing for us."