Hero of the crown

"Victory !"

The crowd shouted, necklaces of flowers, gold and smiles rained down on the soldiers as they entered the capital.

"Halvorsen, hero of the crown !"

The commander leading the procession of brave knights did not react. He's not in the mood to smile, the world of tomorrow frightens him. His mind is foggy, he can't think of anything else. His soldiers look proud, their faces lit up by the satisfaction of having won this civil war erasing the alpha's sombre expression. Perched on their horses, they catch sight of the golden dome of the royal palace. The blond man's sky-blue eyes could not leave them. This palace made of marble and gold is the equivalent of a dozen towns in terms of size. It is the symbol of the prosperity of the kingdom of Dusirene. The background sounds emanating from the little people resound like the bells of the dead arriving with theirs cythes ready to chop off heads. Time seems to stand still as they arrive at the royal gates, which open and giant soldiers dressed in orange armour announce their arrival as well as the presence of there maining royal family.

They enter the great courtyard, abreath of fresh air, a wind of emotion and calm hitting their faces. The garden is dotted with trees and plants from all over the known world. The pebbles on the ground echo under the horses' hooves. The man's eyes cannot avoid those of the old queen. Dressed in orange armour, she too stands erect, her posture flawless. Her grey hair in a ponytail gives the impression that she is always ready for battle.Her hazel eyes conceal an infinite sadness that no-one but those closest to her will notice. But a sovereign - and an alpha at that -must remain dignified. Behind her stand the only children to have survived her four months of terror. Her seventh child, Prince Hubert,a twenty-year-old omega, and her youngest. Princess Francine, a young beta aged fourteen. She is the heiress to the crown, and will ensure the future of the kingdom of Dusirene for the foreseeable future.

The vassals leave their mounts and get into position, kneeling on the ground and bowing their heads. The crowd is still watching the scene outside and there is still silence. A hand as cold as winter rain rests on Commander Halvorsen's skulland the crowd applauds. The royal doors close and the people express their joy with greater vigour. Destabilised by this kind of custom, the soldiers and their commander are surprised but remain unmoved, professionally obliged. Accustomed to the countryside and acres of plantations of all kinds, finding themselves in a capital as crowded as their rural town, with buildings as tall as the oldest trees, is always disorientating for them. The hand withdraws and the alpha's face rises, his eyes meeting those of the young heiress. His eyes widen, the piercing gaze of the young girl traumatised by the war silently thanks him. Everyone expresses the same astonishment, and the old queen lets a feverish half-smile split her lip for a few seconds.

Without a word, the royal family returned to the palace, the knights not far behind. Gold and marble take the form of statues, silver ware, jewels, drawing rooms, dining rooms, kitchens, bedrooms, playrooms, gardens, carriages and weapons. There are so many rooms that it's impossible to count them when you first visit. The employees work in each room in silence. The omnipresence of the orange soldiers is a reminder to those who wish to commit a faux pas on these premises. Everyone is ecstatic and can't contain their enthusiasm. While the alpha stares tirelessly at the old queen's back, his heart is heavy and he's not feeling well. They arrive in the reception hall, and a dining room much larger than the previous ones they had glimpsed a few minutes earlier looms before them. There was endless food, and servants stood behind every chair to provide for the guests' every need.

"This table is as long as my future !"

The soldier who spoke was elbowed and the rest of the assembly laughed. The Queen smiled mechanically and announced:

"Let's eat."