White roses

The heart is sometimes heavy, sometimes light. Having other obligations helps to heal the wounds that bleed within us in the short term. At the end of the day, when solitude reigns, one always ends upruminating despite oneself. His Majesty's green eyes are lost on the ground as he walks in step with his first concubine. His partner twirls a white rose stem between her slender fingers. Her almond-shaped violet eyes are captivated by the petals, and the sea breeze makes her short khaki hair flutter as she smiles.

''You didn't compliment me on my outfit today,'' she announces.

The guards walking nearby compel her to address him formally.

''Your splendor is not limited to the clothes you wear.''

She is dressed in a pale pink décolleté and a long skirt of the same color, split on the side to reveal her beautiful legs and her strappy sandals.

''You always find the right words,'' she whispers.

The prince smiles for form's sake, a rebellious lock of hair flying with the wind, disheveling his braided hairstyle. The young woman approaches, takes the lock with her free hand, and tucks it behind his ear. She runs her fingers along the prince's jaw, admiring his serpent-like eyes, his coppery and radiant skin, and his simple, authentic features. She finally lets her arm fall along her body. Her face changes expression, she turns and continues walking.

''FucLin ?'' His Majesty calls.

''Whatcis it ?''

He catches up to her in two strides and continues to walk beside her.

''Why do you hold back ?'' Asks the alpha.

''Shouldn't I ?'' She replies, stopping.

''You are all my partners, I never wished for there to be any awkwardness.''

''There will always be, especially for those who aspire to the throne or those who have developed real feelings for you.''

Mahery takes a deep breath, marking the muscles in his neck.

''We've had this discussion before,'' he continues.

''We owe you a lifelong debt for saving us. You promised that regardless of who ascends the throne with you after giving birth, you would continue to provide for our needs, even though we would no longer be your lovers.''

''And that is still the case. If 'The Order of the Goddesses' did not prohibit keeping concubines after marriage or coronation, I would have invited you all to stay by my side.''

''The Order of the Goddesses' exists for a reason : the proper functioning of this society.''

The heir raises his green eyes to the trees as he exhales.

''Being a female concubine or male concubine is not a healthy life,'' admits the beta.

''It's the best way I found to save all of you.''

''We know that well, but the suffering of not being able to satisfy you is too great.''

The somber tone and words of the beta make his interlocutor uncomfortable.

''None of you are at fault,'' announces Mahery.

''As Alcibiades said, 'a birth is still a victory.''' She lifts hertired eyes to his. ''We were all ready to help Eleri become sovereign; she was our hope, but...''

''These things happen.''

''Is that your true thought ? Why take a new male concubine in such a critical situation ?''