From Friends to Lovers |woosan

In the bustling halls of Maple High, the sun streamed through the large windows, illuminating the laughter and chatter of students preparing for another day. Among them, two boys stood out-not for their looks or popularity, but for their unshakeable friendship. San and Wooyoung had been inseparable since the first day of freshman year, bonding over their shared love for music, video games, and the occasional midnight snack raid at San's house.

San, with his messy dark hair and infectious smile, was the more easygoing of the two. Wooyoung, in contrast, was a bit more meticulous, always dressed well and often seen with a thoughtful frown as he tried to manage his more impulsive friend. Despite their differences, they complemented each other perfectly.

"Soo-woo-san!" Wooyoung exclaimed one day in art class, teasing San about a particularly bad drawing he had made. "What is that? A cat? It looks more like a potato!"

"Hey! That is clearly a masterpiece," San shot back, laughter in his voice. "Potatoes can be cute too!" They both erupted in laughter.

But it was all fun and games until their friends caught wind of it. Jisoo and Minji, their sharp-eyed mutual friends, sat nearby at the table, exchanging glances filled with mischief. There was something undeniably sweet about the way San and Wooyoung interacted-banter peppered with affection, subtle glances that lingered a moment too long.

"Did you see that? They'd make the perfect couple!" Minji whispered to Jisoo, who nodded enthusiastically.

That was the beginning.

Over the following weeks, the duo's friends began to spread rumors, light-heartedly shipping San and Wooyoung. "When's the wedding?" Jisoo teased one day during lunch, wiggling her eyebrows playfully. Wooyoung, who had been mid-bite of his sandwich, nearly choked. San, on the other hand, just laughed it off, brushing it aside as a silly joke.

"Yeah right! As if!" San said, taking a swig of his apple juice.

But the more their friends joked about it, the more San and Wooyoung began to ponder. Late-night gaming sessions turned into heated conversations about relationships, and what it all meant. They found themselves slipping into deeper conversations, and the atmosphere between them shifted subtly.

"I mean, if we were dating... it wouldn't be so bad, right?" Wooyoung had asked one night, chuckling nervously as he leaned back on his bed, arms behind his head.

"Yeah... it'd probably be fun," San replied, blinking at Wooyoung in surprise. He didn't mean for his heart to race or his palms to sweat. It was just a casual conversation, after all.

"Fun, huh?" Wooyoung smirked. "I suppose if we did date, I'd always have someone to borrow my notes from."

San shoved Wooyoung playfully. "You want someone to help with your work? Try studying for a change!"

Neither of them expected that the comment would linger in the air, an invisible thread weaving between them, tightening slowly.

The situation escalated when Jisoo and Minji decided to play matchmakers at the homecoming dance. They knocked on San's door, dragging him to the local diner where they had secretly invited Wooyoung.

"What's going on?" San asked, confusion lacing his voice.

"Just trust us," Jisoo said with a wink.

When they reached the diner, San's breath caught in his throat. There was Wooyoung, dressed sharply in a navy-blue button-down shirt that made his eyes pop. He looked up and smiled, the way he always did, but this time, it felt charged.

"Hey! You made it!" Wooyoung greeted, the slightest blush dusting his cheeks.

The four of them settled into a booth, the banter flowing easily. But as the night continued, the tone shifted. Jisoo and Minji retreated to the other side of the booth, leaving San and Wooyoung staring at each other across the table.