𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗹𝘃𝗲

The sun was beginning its descent, casting a golden hue across the small café. Taylor sat at a corner table, her fingers wrapped around a steaming cup of coffee. The warmth of the drink was a small comfort against the fluttering nerves in her stomach. She glanced at the clock on the wall for the umpteenth time, the minutes ticking by slowly, each second amplifying her anticipation.

The café was cozy, with mismatched furniture and soft jazz playing in the background. The smell of fresh pastries and brewed coffee filled the air, blending with the sound of muted conversations and the occasional clink of china. Taylor's gaze frequently wandered to the entrance, her heart leaping at each person who walked in, only to sink slightly when it wasn't Nick.

She ran her fingers through her hair, trying to calm her racing thoughts. What would it be like to see him again, to finally have this long-awaited conversation? Her mind replayed snippets of their past together, each memory a mix of joy and pain. She was eager to understand, to confront the past, and to see if there was still a chance for them.

Finally, the bell above the door jingled, and Taylor's heart skipped a beat. She looked up to see Nick stepping into the café, his eyes scanning the room until they landed on her. For a moment, the world seemed to pause. He looked older, more worn, but there was a warmth in his gaze that made her breath catch.

Nick approached the table with a mixture of nervousness and resolve. He was dressed casually, but there was something about his demeanor that spoke volumes, he was here to make things right. Taylor stood to greet him, her face breaking into a tentative smile.

"Hey," she said softly, her voice trembling slightly.

"Hey," Nick replied, his own voice equally soft. He pulled out a chair for her, and they both sat down, the space between them feeling both vast and intimate.

There was a moment of awkward silence as they both took in the reality of the situation. Nick finally broke it, his eyes locked on hers. "Taylor, I... I'm really glad you're here. I know it's been a long time, and I've had a lot of time to think about everything."

Taylor nodded, her heart pounding. "I'm glad to be here too. I wanted to understand. I need to know why things ended the way they did."

Nick took a deep breath, the weight of the moment clear on his face. "The truth is, it wasn't just about us. It wasn't that I was just tolerating you or that I didn't care. It was never about that. It was about the pressure from our friends, those so-called friends who were always meddling, always giving their opinions, always telling us what to do. They were toxic, and they made everything so much harder than it needed to be."

Taylor's eyes widened in surprise. "But you never said anything. You just... walked away."

"I know," Nick said, his voice heavy with regret. "I didn't want to admit it at the time, and I didn't want to drag you into it. I thought maybe if I just ended things, it would be easier. But it wasn't. Not for me, and certainly not for you. I was wrong. I should have fought for us. I should have stood up to them. I should have done better."

The honesty in his voice was palpable, and Taylor could see the depth of his regret. The hurt she had carried for so long began to soften. "So, what now?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Nick reached across the table, his hand gently touching hers. "I would do anything to take it all back, to start over. I know I can't change the past, but I want you to know that I still love you. I never stopped loving you. And if there's any chance, we can make things right, I want to try."

Taylor's heart swelled with a mix of relief and emotion. She had been waiting for this moment, for this acknowledgment. But before she could respond, the words seemed to catch in her throat. Instead, she leaned in, closing the distance between them, and kissed him. It was a kiss full of longing, forgiveness, and a promise of something more. The world outside seemed to disappear, leaving only the two of them in their own private bubble.

When they finally pulled away, both of them were breathless and smiling, their eyes reflecting a shared happiness that had been missing for so long.

Nick's smile widened, his eyes twinkling with newfound hope. "Would you like me to take you back to your hotel?"

Taylor shook her head, her eyes still sparkling with excitement. "Actually, I'd like to visit Dream before we go. I've been looking forward to catching up with him, too."

Nick's face lit up with understanding and approval. "Sure, let's go see Dream. I'm sure he'll be thrilled to see you. Well, spend more time than he got when you arrived, I mean"

Taylor giggled softly as they stood up from the table, Nick took Taylor's hand, leading her out of the café. The evening was filled with the promise of new beginnings, and as they walked together, their past pain seemed to dissolve, leaving room for the possibility of a brighter, happier future.