CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR: BACK

The drive back to Arsenal was quiet and contemplative. YN had chosen to return to her old club after canceling the move to Manchester United. Her heart was heavy with the weight of unresolved emotions, but there was a sense of familiarity and relief in returning to the place she knew best.

Arriving at Arsenal’s training ground, YN felt a mixture of nervous anticipation and relief. She had called ahead to let the staff know she was coming back, and as she walked into the familiar surroundings, she was greeted by friendly faces and a sense of welcome that eased her anxiety. The facility had a comforting, homey feel to it, contrasting sharply with the uncertainty she had faced at Manchester United.

As YN made her way to the locker room, she overheard a conversation that immediately caught her attention. Katie and Caitlin were standing by the lockers, their voices low but audible. YN’s ears perked up as she heard her name mentioned, the tone unmistakably critical.

“I can’t believe YN actually came back,” Katie said, her voice tinged with frustration. “After all that drama with leaving and coming back, it’s like she’s just making everything worse.”

Caitlin nodded in agreement. “Yeah, and now she’s probably going to expect everyone to just welcome her with open arms. It’s ridiculous. She’s been all over the place.”

YN’s heart sank as she heard the conversation. She had hoped for a smooth return and a chance to rebuild, but the harsh words from Katie and Caitlin made her feel unwelcome. She took a deep breath and tried to push her feelings aside. Now was not the time to confront them; she needed to focus on her own well-being first.

Entering the locker room, YN was greeted by the usual hustle and bustle of the team preparing for training. She smiled and exchanged greetings with her teammates, trying to maintain a positive demeanor despite her inner turmoil.

As practice wrapped up, YN sought out Jonas, the head coach, in his office. He looked up from his desk with a warm smile as she entered.

“YN, welcome back,” Jonas said, his tone genuine. “How was the medical?”

YN hesitated for a moment, then explained. “I decided not to sign with Manchester United. There were some concerns about my physical condition that I need to address before starting with a new team.”

Jonas nodded, his expression understanding. “I see. Well, it’s good to have you back. What can I do for you today?”

Taking a deep breath, YN voiced her concerns. “I’m still dealing with some minor injuries, and I’d like to take some time to focus on my recovery. I was hoping to stay with Arsenal, but take a break from playing while I get the treatment I need. I want to make sure I’m in top shape before fully rejoining the team.”

Jonas leaned back in his chair, considering her request. “I understand. It’s important to prioritize your health. We can definitely arrange for you to work with our medical staff and get the treatment you need. As for taking a break from playing, we can work something out. Your well-being comes first.”

YN felt a wave of relief wash over her. “Thank you, Jonas. I really appreciate your support.”

“We’re glad to have you back, YN,” Jonas said, smiling. “Take the time you need to get fully fit. We’ll be here to support you.”

With that settled, YN left Jonas’s office feeling a bit more at ease. She was grateful for the understanding and support from the coaching staff but knew that she still needed to address the negative atmosphere she had encountered.

As she walked through the training facility, she found herself facing Katie and Caitlin again. The conversation she had overheard was still fresh in her mind, and the negativity had left a mark on her. She decided it was best to address the situation directly, to avoid any further misunderstandings.

“Hey, Katie, Caitlin,” YN said, trying to keep her tone even. “I heard some of the things you were saying earlier. I want to address it because I’m back here to get better and contribute positively to the team. I hope we can move past any issues and work together constructively.”

Katie and Caitlin looked taken aback, their expressions shifting to one of awkwardness. “Oh, YN,” Katie said, her voice faltering. “We didn’t mean for it to come off that way. It’s just... it’s been a tough time.”

Caitlin nodded. “Yeah, we didn’t mean to hurt you. We’re glad you’re back and hope everything works out for you.”

YN took a deep breath, feeling a mix of emotions. “I appreciate that. I’m here to focus on my recovery and to be a positive part of the team. Let’s work together to make things better.”

With that, YN walked away, feeling a sense of cautious optimism. The road to recovery and rebuilding her place on the team would be challenging, but she felt determined to make the best of it. With Jonas’s support and a clear focus on her health, YN was ready to face whatever came next, hoping to find a renewed sense of belonging and purpose at Arsenal.