CHAPTER SIXTY NINE: SAM ??

The days following the transfer window were filled with buzz and excitement. Arsenal fans couldn’t stop talking about the shocking, last-minute acquisition of Sam Kerr. Her addition to the squad, alongside Alexia Putellas and Jessica Park, promised a formidable season ahead. Leah and YN spent the next few days discussing lineups, tactics, and how the new players would gel with the existing squad.

By Friday, the buildup to Arsenal’s next game against Manchester United was electric. Jonas Eidevall had kept his cards close to his chest, refusing to reveal too much in the press conferences. Speculation over whether Sam Kerr would make her debut was at an all-time high. The tension in the team’s training sessions was palpable, but it was the kind of tension that breeds excellence—sharp, competitive, and with an edge of excitement.

That morning, Leah and YN arrived at London Colney, Arsenal’s training ground, eager for another intense training session. Sam had already made an impression in the few sessions she’d attended. Her work ethic and natural flair on the ball had everyone buzzing, but there was an unspoken understanding that the real test would come when she stepped onto the pitch in a competitive match.

As they stepped out onto the pitch, Leah noticed Jonas having a hushed conversation with his assistant coach. His brow was furrowed, and the usual calm confidence he exuded was nowhere to be seen. Leah nudged YN.

“Something’s up,” she whispered. “Look at Jonas. He’s never that tense.”

YN nodded, frowning. “Maybe it’s just pre-match nerves. He knows how big this game is.”

But Leah wasn’t so sure. She felt it in her gut—something was off. The training session progressed as normal, with players moving through drills and tactics. Jonas remained on the sidelines, watching intently, but his usual vocal encouragement was absent. It wasn’t until after the session, as everyone began filtering back into the locker room, that Jonas called Leah over.

“Leah, can I have a word?” he said, his voice serious.

Leah glanced at YN, who raised an eyebrow, before nodding to Jonas. “Sure, coach.”

They stepped aside, and Jonas lowered his voice. “I need to tell you something in confidence. It hasn’t been made public yet, but it’s important you know before the team does.”

Leah’s heart raced. “What is it?”

Jonas took a deep breath. “There’s been a complication with Sam’s signing. Her registration paperwork… it hasn’t gone through properly. It seems like Chelsea’s ownership had a clause they’re trying to invoke, claiming her transfer wasn’t finalized by the deadline. There’s going to be an investigation.”

Leah’s eyes widened. “What? So she’s… not ours?”

“For now, she’s still an Arsenal player,” Jonas clarified, “but the FA is going to make a decision. Worst case scenario, she might have to return to Chelsea.”

Leah was stunned. The news hit like a ton of bricks. Sam Kerr, their marquee signing, could potentially be sent back to Chelsea? It was unthinkable.

“Why didn’t you tell the whole team?” Leah asked, struggling to keep her voice steady.

Jonas shook his head. “I don’t want to cause a panic. We’re preparing for a big game, and I don’t want this hanging over the squad. But you’re the captain—you need to know in case things escalate.”

Leah nodded, though the weight of the responsibility pressed heavily on her shoulders. “Okay. Thanks for telling me.”

As she walked back to the locker room, her mind raced. How was she supposed to keep this from YN and the others? Especially when Sam had been nothing but enthusiastic about her new club? Leah decided to keep it to herself, at least for now. There was too much at stake.

That evening, Leah and YN sat at home, reviewing their tactics for the upcoming game. YN was upbeat, oblivious to the storm brewing behind the scenes.

“I can’t wait to see Sam on the pitch,” YN said, grinning. “She’s going to tear United apart.”

Leah forced a smile. “Yeah, it’s going to be exciting.”

But her thoughts were miles away, still on Jonas’s warning. She tried to push the worry aside, telling herself that it was just a minor hiccup. Surely, the paperwork would get sorted. Sam Kerr in an Arsenal shirt wasn’t a dream—it was reality. Or at least, it had to be.

---

Matchday arrived. The Emirates Stadium was packed to capacity, a sea of red and white scarves waving as fans eagerly awaited the team announcements. YN sat beside Leah in the dressing room, the atmosphere charged with nervous energy. As the starting lineup was revealed, there was no surprise—Sam Kerr was set to make her debut up front.

The whistle blew, and the game began with Arsenal on the front foot. Sam looked sharp, linking up well with Alexia and Jessica Park, and by halftime, Arsenal were 2-0 up, with Sam scoring one of the goals. The crowd was in a frenzy, chanting her name.

But as the second half began, Leah’s phone buzzed on the bench. It was Jonas. He’d stepped out of the dugout for a moment, and his text was cryptic: “Come to the tunnel, now. Something’s happened.”

Leah’s heart dropped. She signaled to the assistant coach and hurried down the tunnel, leaving YN confused.

When she reached Jonas, she could tell from his expression that the news wasn’t good.

“They’ve reversed the decision,” he said, his voice tight with anger. “The FA has ruled in favor of Chelsea. Sam has to go back.”

Leah was speechless. “What? They can’t take her off the pitch in the middle of a match!”

Jonas’s expression hardened. “They can, and they will.”

As if on cue, a figure from the FA’s governing body entered the tunnel, flanked by Chelsea representatives. Leah watched in disbelief as they approached the dugout, speaking urgently with the officials. Moments later, the referee blew his whistle, halting the match. Confusion rippled through the stadium as Sam Kerr was called over, her face a mask of confusion and frustration.

The announcement came over the stadium speakers: “Due to an administrative ruling, Sam Kerr is no longer eligible to play for Arsenal. She will be returning to Chelsea effective immediately.”

The crowd erupted into chaos—boos, gasps, and murmurs of disbelief filled the air.

YN, watching from the stands, looked to Leah with wide eyes. “What just happened?!”

Leah could only shake her head in disbelief. This wasn’t just a twist—it was a disaster.

As Sam walked off the pitch, visibly shaken, Leah knew that this was more than just a setback. Arsenal’s season had just been turned upside down in a way no one could have predicted. The battle had only just begun.