CHAPTER NINETY FIVE: HEADER

It was the morning of Arsenal's next big match, and YN was sitting at the breakfast table, staring at her phone in silence. Katie was across from her, scrolling through her own phone, completely unaware of the tension building inside YN. News had broken just a few hours earlier: Jordan Nobbs was officially back at Arsenal—on loan until the end of the season.

It wasn’t unexpected, but seeing the announcement made it feel real. The media had been buzzing with the news, and social media was flooded with reactions. Fans were excited about Jordan’s return, but YN knew this wasn’t just about football. This was about the tangled web of relationships, the unresolved issues with Leah, and the unspoken tension that had been simmering since Jordan’s name first came up.

Katie looked up, sensing the change in the air. "You okay?" she asked, her voice gentle but concerned.

YN sighed, putting down her phone. “It’s just... Jordan. She’s back, and I don’t know how this is going to play out. Not just for the team, but for us.”

Katie leaned forward, reaching across the table to take YN’s hand. “Hey, don’t worry about Jordan. You’ve got me, remember? And whatever happens, we’ll deal with it together. Jordan’s just another player. She doesn’t change anything between us.”

YN nodded, grateful for Katie’s support, but she couldn’t shake the feeling that things were about to get even more complicated. Especially with Leah still in the picture.

---

By the time the team arrived at the Emirates Stadium for the match, the news of Jordan’s signing had spread like wildfire. The energy in the dressing room was electric, a mixture of excitement and tension. YN could feel the eyes of her teammates on her as she laced up her boots, but no one said anything. They all knew what was going on, but no one wanted to bring it up—not right before a game.

Katie sat next to YN, quietly supportive as always. But YN could feel the weight of the situation pressing down on her. This wasn’t just about football anymore; it was about navigating a personal minefield while trying to stay focused on the game.

As YN walked out onto the pitch for the warm-up, she spotted Leah standing near the center circle, stretching. Their eyes met briefly, but Leah quickly looked away, pretending not to notice. YN’s heart sank a little. Despite their conversation a few days ago, things still felt unresolved. And now, with Jordan back in the mix, it seemed like they were destined to keep drifting apart.

---

The match itself started tense and fast-paced. Arsenal was facing off against a tough opponent, and YN knew they couldn’t afford any distractions. But with every touch of the ball, every glance around the pitch, YN couldn’t help but feel like she was being watched. She knew Leah was somewhere behind her, and she knew Jordan was watching from the stands.

The first half ended in a 0-0 deadlock, with both teams struggling to break through. As YN made her way back to the locker room, she could feel the pressure building. She needed to step up, to prove that she belonged on this team, no matter what personal drama was happening off the field.

As the second half kicked off, YN felt a surge of determination. She pressed harder, making runs, creating space, and linking up with her teammates. Then, in the 65th minute, the opportunity came.

A cross from the right-wing flew into the box, and YN was in the perfect position. She rose above the defenders, her head making clean contact with the ball, sending it flying into the back of the net. The crowd erupted, and YN sprinted toward the corner flag, sliding on her knees in celebration. Her teammates swarmed her, but as the noise of the crowd faded, she caught a glimpse of Jordan in the stands, watching silently.

---

After the game, which Arsenal won 1-0 thanks to YN’s goal, the team celebrated in the locker room. Laughter, cheers, and high-fives filled the air, but YN couldn’t shake the nagging feeling in the back of her mind. Jordan. Leah. Everything that was still unresolved.

Katie walked over, wrapping her arms around YN from behind. “You were amazing out there,” she whispered, kissing YN’s cheek.

“Thanks,” YN smiled, leaning into her. “But this whole thing with Jordan...”

Katie pulled away slightly, turning YN to face her. “Forget about Jordan for a second. You scored the winning goal today. You’re making a name for yourself. Don’t let anything else get in your head.”

YN nodded, knowing Katie was right. But just as she was about to respond, there was a knock at the door.

Leah stood in the doorway, her face unreadable. “YN, can we talk for a minute?”

Katie’s expression tightened, but YN gave her a reassuring look. “I’ll be right back.”

---

Outside the locker room, Leah leaned against the wall, arms crossed. She seemed conflicted, her usual confidence missing.

“What’s up?” YN asked, her voice neutral.

Leah exhaled slowly. “Look, I just wanted to say... I’m sorry. I know things have been weird between us, and I didn’t handle any of this the right way. Especially with Jordan.”

YN crossed her arms, not sure where this was going. “And now she’s back.”

Leah nodded. “Yeah, she is. But that doesn’t mean I want to mess with your life, YN. I know I hurt you, and I know things are complicated, but... I don’t want this to affect your game. You’re doing great, and I don’t want to be the reason you lose focus.”

YN frowned, unsure how to respond. Part of her wanted to forgive Leah, to let go of the past and move on. But another part of her couldn’t shake the feeling that Leah was only saying this because of Jordan.

“Leah,” YN started, choosing her words carefully, “I appreciate the apology. But if we’re going to fix anything between us, it needs to be genuine. You’ve got to stop playing games.”

Leah’s expression softened. “I’m trying. I really am.”

Before YN could say anything more, her phone buzzed. She pulled it out and saw a message from an unknown number:

“We need to talk. Meet me outside the stadium. -J”

Jordan.

YN’s heart raced as she stared at the message. Why now? What did Jordan want?

She looked up at Leah, her mind spinning. The cliffhanger of it all hung heavy between them.

To be continued...