Chapter 17: A Day Off

sanji's pov:

Finally. A day off. After everything-lavender fields, tea parties, fashion shows, and way too many dresses-I could finally breathe. The Sunny swayed gently on the calm seas, and for once, there wasn't an urgent mission, a royal wedding, or a lovestruck prince to deal with.

I was in the kitchen, my sanctuary, prepping something simple for the crew. Just an easy lunch. No royal feasts or gourmet meals-just good, hearty food for my family. But of course, peace never lasts long on this ship.

"Oi, Sanji!" Luffy barged into the kitchen, already half-grinning like he knew he was about to cause trouble. "How did you pull off all those dresses?"

I froze for a second, my knife pausing mid-chop. I should've known this would come up. After everything that had happened recently-the lavender gown, the maid dress, the polka dots-I'd been getting side-eye from the crew for days.

I sighed, setting the knife down and turning to face the inevitable crowd that had gathered at the door. Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Robin, Usopp, and Brook-all of them were waiting for an answer.

Zoro leaned against the doorframe, arms crossed, with that stupid smirk of his. "Yeah, cook. You're really gonna pretend you didn't look too comfortable in those dresses?"

I lit a cigarette, taking a slow drag before exhaling. They weren't going to drop this.

"You really wanna know?" I asked, taking another puff. They all nodded eagerly. Even Zoro, though he tried to play it cool.

I chuckled softly, running a hand through my hair. "Alright, fine. But if I'm telling this story, you're all staying out of my kitchen for the rest of the day."

Luffy groaned. "No fair! I want to eat!"

"Shut it, rubber brain. You'll get your food soon enough," I muttered, rolling my eyes.

I leaned back against the counter, taking a moment before I spoke. "I only had one sister, y'know. Reiju. And she's always been tough, strong, way better than me when we were kids. But, as much as she could handle herself, she was still a girl growing up in a house full of boys."

Nami and Robin exchanged a glance, leaning in closer, intrigued.

"She always wanted another sister," I continued, a hint of a smile tugging at my lips as I remembered. "Someone she could play with, talk to, cook with. And since I was the odd one out anyway, guess who fit the bill?"

Luffy's eyes widened, his mouth forming a little "O" of understanding. "So... you?"

"Yeah. Me." I shrugged, rubbing the back of my neck. "I ended up wearing dresses whenever she wanted to play 'sisters.' Reiju didn't have anyone else to do it with, so I figured... why not? I was already different from my brothers. What did it matter?"

Zoro was still leaning in the doorway, his smirk gone. He looked at me with something else in his eyes-something softer, but it made me want to look away.

"I didn't mind it, to be honest," I said. "It made Reiju happy, and... I liked cooking for her, talking to her. It was the one part of my childhood that wasn't so bad."

Nami chuckled, crossing her arms. "So that's how you pulled it off so well. All those royal gowns and fancy parties."

Robin smiled softly, her eyes twinkling with amusement. "It makes sense now. You've always been more than just a cook."

Brook, who'd been strumming his guitar quietly in the background, chimed in with a soft tune, his bony fingers plucking the strings as he sang in a low, melodic voice. Something about family, memories, and lost childhoods. It fit the moment, surprisingly.

I couldn't help but laugh. "Yeah, well. I don't make a habit of wearing dresses these days, but it's not like it's new to me."

Zoro was quiet, which was strange. He usually had some smart remark ready, but now he just stood there, staring at me like he was trying to figure something out. I tried to ignore it, focusing on the others instead.

Nami grinned, leaning in. "You know, Sanji, we all assumed you'd end up with some princess after all that."

Robin's smile widened as she added, "But now I'm starting to think you're not exactly interested in princesses."

I froze for a second, and then I let out a quiet chuckle. "Guess you're smarter than most, Robin-chan."

Luffy blinked, completely oblivious. "Huh? So you don't want to marry a princess?"

I sighed, flicking ash from my cigarette. "No, Luffy. Not a princess."

"Oh!" Luffy's face lit up with realization. "Then... can I get adopted into your family? You had cool sisters!"

I laughed out loud at that. "Sorry, Luffy, but you're stuck with me and the rest of this crew."

Brook's guitar music picked up, and he started singing a slightly more upbeat tune about love, friendship, and all the adventures we'd had. It was the kind of moment that made me realize how lucky I was to have these idiots as my family now.

As the laughter died down, I caught Zoro's gaze again. He still hadn't said anything, but there was something in his eyes that felt... different. Like he understood something he hadn't before.

Zoro turned to leave, his voice gruff as he mumbled, "Let's see you cook as good as you wear those dresses, princess."

But I didn't miss the way his voice softened, just a bit, or the way he looked at me before heading out.

As I watched him go, I took another drag from my cigarette, exhaling slowly. Maybe I wasn't the same as when I was a kid, but I'd still protect this crew with everything I had.

And if Zoro kept looking at me like that, well... I'd deal with that later.

For now, it was just another day on the Sunny.

"Alright, you idiots," I called, snapping out of the moment. "Lunch is ready. Come and get it!"

And just like that, everything was back to normal-well, as normal as life could get with these fools. But I wouldn't trade it for anything.