Chapter 16: Lavender Lullaby

Zoro's pov:

The kingdom was famous for its endless fields of lavender, and I could smell the damn flowers in the air from miles away. It was like breathing in perfume, too sweet and too much for my taste. The whole place looked like a painting with its rolling fields of purple under a bright blue sky. Peaceful? Sure. Boring? Definitely. But this wasn't a trip for sightseeing-we had a job to do.

Sanji, of course, had drawn the short straw again. Nami said his "elegance" was needed to sneak into the royal wedding happening today. Apparently, it was the only way to get close enough to the reclusive king and secure his signature on a peace treaty. And, of course, to blend in, Sanji had to wear a gown. A lavender gown.

I leaned against a tree, watching as he stepped out from the dressing room of some tailor Nami had found in town. The gown was ridiculous. It was long, flowing, and covered in delicate floral patterns. The train dragged behind him as he walked, making him look like some kind of royal doll. Lavender. Everywhere. And that wasn't even the worst part-there was this soft light catching on the fabric, making it shimmer as he moved.

He looked... well, damn it, he looked good. I hated to admit it. The bastard looked like he was born to wear that dress.

Sanji caught my gaze, his face set in a grimace. "Don't say a word, mosshead."

I shrugged, trying to act indifferent. "You clean up nice, princess."

He threw me a glare that could burn through steel, but there was no time for banter. The wedding was starting, and Sanji had to get moving if we wanted any chance of pulling this off.

The plan was simple enough-sneak into the bridal party, get into the palace, and find the king during the reception. Sanji was posing as one of the royal attendants, blending in with the wedding party. The guests would be too busy oohing and ahhing over the ceremony to notice anything out of the ordinary, and Sanji's disguise was more than convincing.

But convincing wasn't the problem. The problem came in the form of the prince.

I saw him the second we got into the palace grounds-tall, dark hair, and dressed in royal garb that screamed "important." He had that dreamy, far-off look in his eyes that usually meant trouble. He noticed Sanji the moment we stepped into the gardens. I watched it all unfold, and I knew instantly that things were going to go sideways.

"Who is that vision of beauty?" the prince said, his voice all soft and breathless as if he'd just seen an angel fall from the heavens.

Sanji, who'd been trying to blend into the background, froze. I could see the muscles in his shoulders tense, but he kept his face calm. "Good evening, your highness," Sanji said, bowing slightly. The train of his gown pooled around him, the lavender flowers looking almost too perfect.

The prince was hooked. "You must be one of the bride's attendants. But you... you stand out among them all." His eyes were wide, and he stepped closer, his voice lowering. "What is your name, fair one?"

I stifled a laugh. This was getting good.

Sanji, to his credit, didn't lose his cool. "Just a humble servant here to assist the wedding, your highness," he said smoothly, his usual charm creeping into his voice. "Please, pay me no mind."

But the prince wasn't having it. He was already in too deep. "No, I must know. There is something about you... It's as if fate has led us here."

Sanji sighed internally, I could tell, but on the outside, he smiled that fake smile he used whenever he had to charm someone for the sake of a mission. "Thank you for your kind words, but the attention should be on the bride and groom today."

The prince took another step closer, and I could practically hear the alarm bells ringing in Sanji's head. "No, it is you who has captured my heart this day," the prince declared, his voice full of longing. "I have never seen such beauty, such grace. I must know you."

I had to duck behind a column to keep from laughing out loud. This was too good. Sanji, the cook with the worst luck in the world, now had a prince chasing after him like some love-struck teenager.

Sanji turned slightly, trying to make his exit, but the prince followed him, practically hanging on his every word. "I must speak to you further. After the ceremony, perhaps we could-"

"No," Sanji interrupted, his patience clearly running out. "I'm afraid I must attend to my duties, your highness."

I saw the fire in his eyes, that look Sanji gets when he's about three seconds away from kicking someone into the next dimension. But he held it together, just barely. He had to, after all-this mission was more important than some prince with a crush.

Eventually, Sanji managed to slip away, though not without the prince watching him like he was the most precious jewel in the kingdom. I followed close behind, trying to keep from laughing as I caught up with him in one of the palace hallways.

"Looks like someone's got an admirer," I teased, crossing my arms as Sanji tried to shake off the whole encounter.

"Shut up, Zoro," he muttered, his jaw tight. "Let's just find the king and get this over with."

"You sure you don't want to stick around for the prince? He seemed really into you. Might even make you queen."

Sanji shot me a look that could've melted stone. "Keep talking, mosshead. I'll deal with you later."

But as we moved through the palace, it was hard not to notice the way Sanji's gown shimmered in the soft light, the way he carried himself like he actually belonged here among royalty. And, despite all the teasing, I couldn't shake the strange feeling that had been gnawing at me since he stepped out in that dress.

Damn it.

This was supposed to be a simple mission, but somewhere along the way, I had started noticing more than I wanted to. And maybe it wasn't just the prince who thought Sanji looked like royalty tonight.

I shook my head, trying to clear those thoughts as we finally reached the king's chambers. This was business-just business.

And yet, as Sanji adjusted the flowing train of his gown and straightened his shoulders, I couldn't help but think there was something more here.

And that thought scared the hell out of me.