Chapter 12 : A thorny question - Part 2

As soon as they entered the house, Toriel and Grillby headed to the kitchen as the bartender was willing to help. The others sat around the living-room table in an awkward silence.

Sans pushed Papyrus so he wouldn't be sitting next or in front of Undyne, which didn't go unnoticed. Though, conscious he just made the situation worse, he was the first one to break the ice.

"So, before we start and all. I have a very important question. A life-or-death type of question actually. Papyrus. What the hell happened with Mettaton earlier?"

Startled, Papyrus' face went from pale to bright orange in less than ten seconds. Alphys suddenly straightened, very interested in what was happening. Undyne looked at everyone, confused and utterly lost.

"What do you mean?" The fish lady asked. "When did you meet Mettaton anyway?"

"O-oh, that's b-because of me." Alphys answered, clearly unable to hide the smile spreading on her face. "I sent him t-to escort P-Papyrus to the C-CORE. There were t-troubles at the MTT R-Resort."

"And?"

"And I d-didn't see w-well on the c-cameras but I swear I s-saw Mettaton giving him a signed ch-chainsaw and P-Papyrus blushing."

"Can you please all stop?" The skeleton whined in a low high-pitched voice, hiding behind his hands.

The others teased him mercilessly, which helped to lighten the mood. Toriel and Grillby soon came back with some sandwiches and joined them. The laughs died down slowly, and in seconds, everyone was silent again.

"First, I would like to thank you all for being a part of this new adventure." Toriel said. "I think you already know each other, so I won't redo the introductions. I wanted to discuss some more private issues with you all, mainly about the violence growing in the Underground... And the humans. As we explained briefly sooner, Papyrus got attacked in the garden a few hours ago, and we have reason to think they might be Asgore's murderer too."

Undyne tensed slightly, then turned towards Papyrus, more serious.

"Can you describe it? With as many details as you can."

"His name is Flowey. He's a tiny golden flower, like the ones in the Royal Garden. Except this one has a face and talks."

"A... talking flower? That's all?"

"The guy is more dangerous than what he looks like." Sans stepped in. "If he broke Papyrus' leg like a branch, who knows what else he can do? I... I saw him in action in the past and it was not pretty. He's extremely good at manipulating everyone to get what he wants. Whatever happened in the throne room, the kid ratted him out before they left. That Flowey guy is involved in all this, one way or another."

"I can try to track him down, but I just can't check all the flowers in the Underground." Undyne answered. "There are hundreds of them and soon, they will be everywhere as a tribute to Asgore. Are you sure it's really a talking flower? Can it not be some weird echo-golden flower mix? I never heard of a monster type like that. And anyway, what do you mean when you say you saw him in action in the past? Why did you not tell everyone? Clearly you knew he was not reliable."

Sans hesitated. He opened his mouth to talk, but quickly retreated.

"It's not important. Past is past."

"Of course, it's important!" Undyne slammed her fist on the table. "That flower just hurt your brother and maybe killed the King!"

"T-This f-f-flower, could... could it use d-determination?" asked Alphys, suddenly very pale and sweaty.

"Don't know." Sans answered. "Maybe. Why? You saw it too?"

The scientist started shaking and hyperventilating, clearly in the beginning of a panic attack. Undyne frowned and came in front of her. She gently rubbed her shoulder to calm her down. Once Alphys was breathing more or less normally, the warrior held her hands to encourage her to talk.