Chapter 5 : Cloudy past

Laying on a dirty custody cell mattress, Frisk was silent. They were looking at the ceiling, absent-minded, and they were trying their best to ignore the pain in their forearms. They didn't make it easy for the two policemen. After the inspectors dragged them by force in the car, they couldn't make them out. The kid had screamed, clawed, bit, and since they were unable to calm them down, they locked them behind a window like a wild animal. Frisk had yelled, hit the glass, cried, but nobody came back for them. After a while, annoyed, they simply laid on the bench and they were now waiting for something to happen.

At least, the kid wasn't all alone. Asgore and Chara, as tired as them, were sitting against the wall too. They were talking about a new way to getting out of here, but Frisk wasn't listening anymore. They were exhausting. By the long journey in the Underground, by the town wandering, by the arrest... It was far too much to bear for a eight years old child.

A muffled sob escaped their throat, capturing their companions attention. Chara got up and gently came to sit next to them. They tried to put a hand on their shoulder to comfort them, but it passed through their body.

"I should have wait a little longer... Sans... Sans would have know what to do. Perhaps he is believing too that I killed Asgore, and even him is gonna hate me..."

"Of course not." Chara assured. "Your damn comedian have a musty sense of humor, but he is more clever than most of the monsters. You know, when he threatened us at MTT Resort of the promise he had done, I think he was talking about Momm... Toriel. And I think he knows who she is now. If he is not too stupid, by now, he went to ask her to take back the throne. I'm sure he's going to wait after you behind the Barrier like a poodle, with his brother."

A half-smile lightened slightly Frisk's face. Chara was not really good at the comforting people thingy. They were more the type to scream and to let go sarcastic lines in the disastrous situations. During their travel in the Underground, Chara had been a precious ally, but also a very unpredictable person, like when they screamed contrary orders when Undyne was chasing them, leading Frisk to a lot of deaths. A few dozens actually. By chance, thanks to their determination, they were able to go back in time.

Oh, but of course ! They just had to go back in time ! They concentrated and tried to visualize the strange lighting menu that was appearing when they were using their determination in the Mountain. Unfortunately, nothing happened. Not one ray of light. Distraught, the child put an instinctive hand to his chest, where they knew their soul was hiding.

"Chara, I... I can't access to my save files anymore !" Frisk panicked. "How am I... What can I do if I..."

"Calm down, that's not that serious for now. It might just be a consequence of what happened when you absorbed my father's soul. I remember that when Asr... my brother..." they corrected themselves with a nervous look towards Asgore. "When my brother absorbed my soul, he immediately lost some of his powers and other appeared instead. I couldn't have access to my determination anymore too. Which is mostly why I'm here with you today."

"This is possible." Asgore answered with sad eyes. "During the Great War, some humans and monsters bonded together. It didn't bother us, but the humans... Well, it's past history now." he sighed. "When a human and a monster souls are bonding together, their most important traits and magic colors are bonding too to form one soul that can be share by two people, more powerful. Absorbing a soul work like that too. When a monster absorbed a human soul, their force is tenfold, and that's... Well, that's the reason why I started collected them in the first place. However, I don't know what could happening in the other way. Monsters souls don't last long after death, except for Boss Monsters, and only if they are absorb very quickly like you did. This is a very first one. Maybe you will develop some of my powers at long term, I don't know."