How Loki dealt with childbirth

Loki was restless, pacing back and forth in front of the white doors while, on the other side, his beloved's cries and the calm voices of the doctors filtered through.

He understood that childbirth was difficult, but he hadn't realized it would be this unbearable. Every one of Melissa's screams felt like a knife twisting inside him. He would have gladly been in the small doctor's office right now, but his beloved didn't want him present for the childbirth.

"Heaven forbid you accidentally injure one of the doctors out of stress," she said. "Or worse, faint, like you did during the first ultrasound. And the second one too, by the way."

Loki was anxious. He desperately wanted to be with Melissa, but the mere thought of blood and the little being now struggling to come out of his beloved made Loki feel queasy, and his body threatened to betray him with faintness. It seemed Melissa was right. She had found a weak spot in the deceitful God.

"Steady yourself, Loki. Just calm down," he repeated to himself like a mantra. "No need for a scene. Melissa would never forgive me if, while she was in labor, I ended up stabbing someone."

And there was a prime contender for the knife in Loki's brother, Thor.

He sat nearby on the bench, grinning and watching Loki's every move with interest.

"Stay calm, just breathe," Loki repeated to himself, throwing a murderous glance at his brother, who only smirked.

"You know," Thor drawled lazily, "I never thought I'd see you like this."

But the dark-haired God said nothing. He shuddered again at Melissa's cry and resumed his relentness pacing before the white doors leading to the room.

"You're going to wear a hole in the floor soon," the blond remarked, grinning.

"Oh, just shut up, Thor!" Loki snapped, and at that very moment, Melissa let out the loudest, most piercing scream yet, and then - everything fell silent.

Loki panicked, lunging toward the door, but couldn't enter. His whole body shook, and he collapsed to the floor, gasping for breath. His chest tightened, his head buzzed, and his heart pounded violently as if it might leap out of his chest.

"Loki!" Thor shouted, and in an instant, he was by his side.

"Breathe, just breathe," Thor commanded, grabbing his brother's shoulders and forcing Loki to meet his gaze. "Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale."

Breathing helped. It became easier, his heart no longer pounded wildly, and the buzzing in his head subsided.

"Why is it so quiet?" Loki whispered, his voice trembling.

"I should be there! Right next to her!" Loki attempted to break free from his brother's hold, but Thor restrained him.

"Hey, it's okay. Calm down. They'll call us soon - the birth is over. Didn't you hear your child crying?" Loki stared at Thor in disbelief.

"My child... is born? Crying?"

At that moment, the doors to the room opened, and the doctor's head appeared:

"The proud father can come in now."

Loki quickly jumped to his feet and rushed to the door, almost knocking the doctor aside in his haste.

Inside, the room was calm. The doctors and nurses were tidying up, restoring order.

Melissa lay on a large bed, cradling a tiny, swaddled figure in her arms, smiling softly. Her damp hair clung to her forehead, dark circles shadowed her eyes, and her face was pale. But she radiated happiness. Loki could see it - and feel it. He was happy too. So overwhelmingly happy that his eyes welled up with tears.

"Just don't cry or faint!" Melissa teased, her smile gentle.

"Come on, don't worry," she added, her voice softening.

Loki slowly approached the bed and sat beside it, first gazing deeply into Melissa's joyful eyes, then down at the tiny, swaddled cocoon in which their child slept peacefully.

"We have a son," Melissa said, her smile radiant.

"You're both so beautiful," Loki said softly, his voice barely a whisper, afraid to disturb the small miracle that Melissa had brought into the world.

Looking into Melissa's eyes, he sighed and said, "I love you."

"And I love you, my dear," she replied.

They sealed their words with a tender kiss, as their son softly snored in peaceful slumber.