Chapter 70 - A Surprising Twist

"After all, I'm in the Golden Core stage. Are you so certain you can beat me?"

Zheng He didn't even realize that his tone when speaking to Zhang Yiyi lacked any semblance of authority, quite the opposite of what one would expect from a Golden Core cultivator.

Who am I, where am I, and what am I doing?

In a daze, Zheng He felt like his life as a Golden Core cultivator had somehow turned pathetic.

"Do you only fight people when you're absolutely sure you can win?" Zhang Yiyi retorted.

This time, Zheng He was left speechless, and any illusion he had about marrying this girl vanished entirely.

The misconception had come swiftly, but thankfully it dissipated just as quickly—otherwise, it would have been a disaster.

"Rest assured, I no longer think you're suitable to be my Dao companion," he clarified directly. He gazed at the seemingly obedient and delicate young woman, wondering why her thoughts were so fierce and ruthless beneath the surface.

A wife who starts a fight at the slightest disagreement, regardless of whether she could win or not, would make life utterly unbearable.

"Oh, I'm quite relieved," Zhang Yiyi said, sipping her tea, fully aware that Zheng He wouldn't dare do anything to her.

Zheng He had grown accustomed to Zhang Yiyi's words, which always seemed to give him a headache. He changed the subject, asking, "By the way, after all this talk, I still don't know your name."

Although he no longer intended to make her his Dao companion, he found her interesting enough that befriending her didn't seem like a bad idea.

Subconsciously, Zheng He didn't see Zhang Yiyi as just a weaker Foundation Establishment cultivator, but rather as someone on equal footing with him.

In fact, the more Zhang Yiyi stepped on his ego, the more drawn he felt to her, like a moth to a flame.

"My name is Han Lin, a rogue cultivator, just traveling around and seeking opportunities," Zhang Yiyi smoothly replied, using an alias.

As long as Zheng He no longer had romantic designs on her, becoming casual friends wouldn't hurt. After all, he was the young master of Jiagu Guan City and held significant sway in the region. Building a good relationship with him could be beneficial for future endeavors.

Of course, Zhang Yiyi had never considered asking someone like Zheng He to help her in her real quest. That would risk exposing her true identity and intentions, which could bring more harm than good.

"Han Lin... a rogue cultivator?" Zheng He couldn't help but feel that he might have misunderstood the term "rogue cultivator." There was nothing about Han Lin that seemed like one.

But since she insisted on calling herself that, there was no need for him to argue over such trivial matters.

"Little Sister Han, since you're out seeking opportunities, in a few days, I'll take you to a great place!" Zheng He said with the enthusiasm of someone more suited to the streets than to the world of cultivation.

He was planning a trip with some friends to explore a recently discovered treasure site and figured he might as well invite Zhang Yiyi along.

"What kind of place?" Zhang Yiyi's interest was piqued.

Zheng He couldn't reveal the full details in such a public setting, so he whispered the gist of it to her. If she agreed to join, he'd explain more on the road.

"Sure, if Brother Zheng doesn't mind taking me along, I'd be happy to go."

Zhang Yiyi was genuinely interested in what Zheng He had just mentioned. Since her quest wasn't something that could be completed in a short time, spending a few days on a side trip seemed perfectly fine.

"Of course, it's no problem," Zheng He said, feeling quite pleased. It seemed that this girl wasn't all thorns after all. Once you got to know her, she wasn't so bad.

"Are you not afraid that I'm tricking you into a trap, setting you up to be harmed?" Zheng He asked, surprised at how quickly Zhang Yiyi agreed.

Unconsciously, he began worrying like an overprotective mother. Just a moment ago, he was thinking about wooing her, and now he was worried someone might deceive her.

"No, I'm not afraid," Zhang Yiyi replied, with just two simple words.

It was unclear whether she trusted Zheng He not to do such a thing or whether she simply wasn't afraid of anyone trying to harm her.

Zheng He couldn't read her thoughts any further, but since she was so decisive, he didn't press the matter.

"Alright then, once everything is ready, we'll go in a few days. Where are you staying now? How should I find you?" Zheng He asked.

Zhang Yiyi tossed him her communication talisman. "Just use this to contact me. I just arrived in the city today and haven't settled on a place to stay yet."

"No place to stay? Why not come with me to the city lord's manor? There are plenty of empty rooms, and the spiritual energy there is better than anywhere else in the city," Zheng He immediately suggested.

"That's not convenient. I'll find a place myself. I've already arranged for someone to handle it, and they should be here soon," Zhang Yiyi politely declined. It wasn't about trust; it was just unnecessary.

"Fair enough." Zheng He realized she had a point. They weren't that close, after all. Plus, the city lord's manor wasn't exactly a peaceful place.

Remembering he had other matters to attend to, Zheng He didn't linger. After handing Zhang Yiyi his communication talisman, he stood up to leave.

Before walking out the door, he paid for both of their drinks like it was the most natural thing in the world, a typical gesture of generosity from someone born into wealth.

Even after Zheng He had left, many people in the teahouse were still in disbelief. How had things taken such an unexpected turn?

Shouldn't it have been the case of a playboy young master teasing a beautiful female cultivator? Or maybe a villainous Golden Core cultivator bullying a weaker female? Why had it ended with the two of them becoming sworn siblings and talking like old friends?

This twist was truly beyond anyone's expectations, and everyone in the room now looked at Zhang Yiyi with a kind of admiration. After all, it wasn't every day that one saw a Foundation Establishment female cultivator outwit a Golden Core rogue.

Zhang Yiyi paid no attention to their reactions. Soon enough, Liuzi arrived, informing her that the landlord had agreed, and she could move in immediately if everything was satisfactory.

With that, Zhang Yiyi stood up and followed Liuzi to her new residence.