Chapter 118

Fang Chun hadn't finished speaking when Zhang Yiyi raised her hand to stop him.

"No need to explain further; I'm not interested in that. But I am interested in this trap you mentioned. Stop beating around the bush—I don't have the time to waste. Tell me directly where you went, what happened, who captured you, and why they kept you alive for so long without killing you. Otherwise, don't blame me for not being polite!"

Her aura flared out, ruthlessly pressing down on Fang Chun. Her intent to kill was unmistakable, and she was ready to strike without mercy, showing no concern for his life at his Qi Refining stage.

The sudden change in her demeanor took Fang Chun by surprise. The terrifying killing intent rushed straight to his head, sharp and deadly, with not a shred of falsehood. It was clear she could take his life at any moment, and he had no ability to resist.

Fortunately, this was just a warning. Just as Fang Chun was about to buckle under the pressure, she withdrew her aura, sparing his life—for now.

Breathing heavily and drenched in cold sweat, Fang Chun couldn't believe how the beautiful girl in front of him could turn so ruthless, like a demon capable of killing at the slightest provocation. His fear only deepened, as he realized that she was far stronger than an average Foundation Establishment cultivator, making him doubt whether she really was just at the Foundation Establishment stage.

At this moment, Fang Chun couldn't afford any further distractions. To save his own life, he quickly responded to her demand: "Fairy, to be clear, the place we went was a treasure site we heard about by chance. It's located 120 miles southwest in the depths of the Black Forest. But instead of treasure, there was a terrifying old man. Any cultivators who went seeking treasure were captured by him. After we were caught, we were imprisoned in a dungeon, never seeing the light of day, and regularly taken out to be tortured. It was worse than death..."

As he spoke, Fang Chun's voice choked up, recalling the endless months of suffering. He could no longer continue. At least, though, he had answered Zhang Yiyi's questions sufficiently.

For cultivators, physical pain wasn't the worst torment—mental anguish was.

Zhang Yiyi didn't strike him again but furrowed her brow deeper. "What's that old man's cultivation level? Besides you and your brothers, how many others are being held there? What's their general cultivation level?"

Upon hearing Zhang Yiyi's detailed follow-up questions, Fang Chun seemed to realize something. Filled with hope, he eagerly replied, "Fairy, that old man is at least at the Golden Core stage. Besides my two fellow disciples, there are still 23 other cultivators imprisoned, most of them at mid-to-late Qi Refining, though a few are at the Foundation Establishment stage. Fairy, if you can find a way to save my brothers, I will devote my life to serving you!"

Zhang Yiyi scoffed at him, her tone dripping with disdain: "You're just a weak Qi Refining stage cultivator, barely able to protect yourself. Even if you devote your life to me, what use would that be? You expect me, a Foundation Establishment cultivator, to rescue your brothers from someone who's at least in the Golden Core stage? Do you think I've lost my mind? Or do I look like the kind of fool who'd willingly throw their life away for someone they've never even met?"

"I..."

Fang Chun was utterly humiliated by the ridicule, his face flushed red, and his eyes even welled up with tears.

"If I didn't want to get entangled with sect disciples like you, the fact that you lured me here in such a sneaky manner would've been enough to cost you your life. Get lost, and don't let me see you again!"

Zhang Yiyi had no patience for Fang Chun's nonsense. After coldly throwing down those words, she turned and swiftly flew away, disappearing from Fang Chun's sight in an instant.

"Fairy! Fairy..."

Fang Chun's face turned ashen. He never expected that Zhang Yiyi, who had just been calmly asking questions, would suddenly turn hostile and leave without a second thought.

Her unpredictable temper and character left him confused. For a moment, he couldn't tell if she was genuine or not, causing him to doubt himself.

Could it be that she really wasn't sent by the sect? Did he truly guess wrong?

Regardless of whether this woman was sent by the Yunxian Sect or not, in the end, he had failed. He hadn't managed to deceive her or complete his mission, and he had no idea what kind of punishment awaited him upon his return.

Thinking about the fate of others who had failed before him, Fang Chun's face turned pale. The thought of what might happen made him shudder. He cursed that female cultivator for being so cold-hearted and ruthless, cutting him off before he could even finish his explanation, causing him to miss his chance.

After standing in place, torn between frustration and hatred for a while, Fang Chun could only resign himself to returning to report back, hoping that the person in charge would give him another chance, considering he still had some value.

Soon, Fang Chun also turned to leave, heading in the direction of the Black Forest in the southwest, as he had mentioned earlier.

The highest level of deception is a mixture of truth and lies, so most of what he had said to Zhang Yiyi earlier was true. The difference was that he had downplayed the danger of that place, and Zhang Yiyi was actually his target this time.

Unfortunately, that woman was too cunning and ruthless, leaving so abruptly that he didn't even have a chance to implement his backup plan.

Filled with both fear and hatred, Fang Chun's mind was in turmoil, preoccupied with the punishment awaiting him for failing his mission. He didn't even notice that someone was following him.

Zhang Yiyi had only pretended to leave. She secretly doubled back and continued trailing Fang Chun.

Although everything Fang Chun said and did, even his identity, seemed fine on the surface, Zhang Yiyi couldn't shake a nagging feeling that something wasn't right.

Unable to pinpoint exactly what felt off, Zhang Yiyi chose not to confront Fang Chun directly but instead followed him, wanting to see what else would unfold.

Fang Chun made a beeline for the Black Forest in the southwest. The further he went, the more uneasy Zhang Yiyi became as she followed him in the shadows.

What is this man planning? Was he so provoked by her that he decided to recklessly return on his own to try and save his fellow disciples?

But with his limited power, all he would do was walk right back into the trap and become a victim again. Since when did the disciples of the Yunxian Sect become so impulsive and foolish?

Just as Zhang Yiyi was debating whether to step in and drag Fang Chun away, a formation ripple appeared at the seemingly ordinary edge of the Black Forest. In an instant, someone emerged from inside and blocked Fang Chun's path.

"What's going on? Why are you alone?"

The person's expression was lifeless, and the look they gave Fang Chun was as cold as a corpse.