Chapter 105 - Suffocating to death

The Black Swamp outside Jiagu Guan City has always been abundant in Liuyun Kou. While Liuyun Kou is not particularly rare, its wide application in artifact refining makes this large production area a coveted target for various factions in Jiagu Guan City.

Eventually, the Bai family outmaneuvered several other families and secured the mining rights to Liuyun Kou for the first decade, which gradually quelled the previous chaos surrounding the resource.

However, due to the unique conditions in the Black Swamp, access is only permitted for half of each month, and the formation of Liuyun Kou at the swamp's deepest points is complex. Only cultivators at the Foundation Establishment stage or lower can truly approach the ore veins for mining.

Thus, if properly managed, not only could the Bai family enjoy immense profits, but others would also not have to worry about Liuyun Kou being completely mined out after ten years.

The Bai family's early years of mining Liuyun Kou went relatively smoothly, but in the past six months, the situation in the Black Swamp has inexplicably changed drastically. Not only has the time available for mining Liuyun Kou each month become shorter, but a certain ant nest near the ore vein has mutated, with strength rivaling that of first-tier demon beasts.

Of course, that isn't the main issue—the sheer number of these ant nests is what's truly concerning. They say that many ants can take down an elephant, especially when facing these mutated super ants.

As a result, the Bai family often encounters attacks from these mutated ants whenever they bring people in to mine Liuyun Kou, leading to significant casualties.

The Bai family is reluctant to weaken their own strength too much but also doesn't want to give up on mining Liuyun Kou. Hence, they began hiring wandering cultivators from Jiagu Guan City at high prices to assist with the mining efforts.

"Are those ants really that powerful?" Zhang Yiyi couldn't help but ask after hearing Zhu Qing's words. "Is this just what the Bai family claims, or has it been verified by other factions in Jiagu Guan City?"

"When the Bai family discovered this situation, they reported it to the city lord's mansion right away. Besides the city lord, several other factions also sent people to investigate the Black Swamp," Zhu Qing replied, pointing at himself. "Our Zhu family also went. I heard that the area around the Liuyun Kou vein is practically surrounded by layers of those mutated giant ants. Once someone tries to probe in, they immediately swarm and attack. What's more, that ore vein is peculiar; only cultivators at the Foundation Establishment stage or lower can actually go into the mine. So even if you send in more high-level cultivators, it wouldn't make a difference. Those mutated ants are very clever; once they sense something's off, they immediately burrow back into the ore vein. It's nearly impossible to deal with them."

Zhang Yiyi frowned and pressed on, "Since it's so dangerous there, did the Bai family make any clear statements when recruiting personnel?"

"How could they possibly tell the whole truth? The Bai family would love to keep the information tightly under wraps; otherwise, who would dare to risk their lives for them?" Zhu Qing scoffed. "The Bai family is just a bunch of typical petty individuals. They don't care about the lives of those wandering cultivators at all. After all, there are plenty of wandering cultivators coming and going in Jiagu Guan City. If some die, there will always be others to replace them, especially if they offer a bit more spirit stones."

"So, even though the city lord knows about this situation, he still doesn't stop the Bai family from bringing so many wandering cultivators to their deaths?" Zhang Yiyi felt that the external disciples of the Yunxian Sect might have become cannon fodder for the Bai family's Liuyun Kou mining, but there was no evidence to confirm it yet.

"How can the city lord manage that? The Bai family spent quite a few spirit stones to secure the mining rights in the Black Swamp for ten years. The city lord can't possibly dip into his own pockets to compensate the Bai family for their losses," Zhu Qing continued. "Moreover, while the Bai family hasn't clearly stated the specific dangers of mining to those they recruited, they have at least mentioned that risks are involved. However, the rewards they offer are so high that most people simply don't take it to heart."

After saying this, Zhu Qing earnestly reminded Zhang Yiyi, "That's why I say it's better that you don't go to the Black Swamp. Although your strength is certainly greater than those recruited cultivators, knowing that something's off there, there's no need to seek out trouble for yourself at this time. After a while, when things calm down there, if you still want to go, my friends and I can accompany you."

With Zhu Qing laying it out this clearly, Zhang Yiyi naturally wouldn't argue further. She nodded in agreement, thanked him, and exchanged a few casual remarks before getting up to leave with Mao Qiu.

Zhu Qing seemed to have other matters to attend to, so he didn't insist on keeping her, only saying that in a couple of days, when Zheng He is free, they should all get together. After all, Jiagu Guan City is their territory, and they should show proper hospitality.

After parting ways with Zhu Qing, Zhang Yiyi didn't rush back. She deliberately wandered around the streets for a bit before stealthily returning to the entrance of the Bai family.

This time, however, Zhang Yiyi had changed her outfit and altered her appearance slightly to blend in as an ordinary male cultivator, rejoining the queue to register.

Although she had heard plenty of insider information from Zhu Qing, she still planned to take a trip herself to assess the specific situation inside. As they say, hearing is often deceptive, while seeing is believing. Whether the missing outer disciples from Yunxian Sect truly met their demise in the Bai family's mining operations required further evidence to ascertain.

"I want to register!"

When it was once again Zhang Yiyi's turn, she handed over her identification tag, deliberately lowering her voice to sound nothing like her original female tone. Thankfully, the temporary identification tag from Jiagu Guan City didn't specify gender; otherwise, she would have had to find another suitable tag.

As for Mao Qiu, he had been forcibly stuffed into a beast pouch to prevent the Bai family's registration personnel from recognizing her as the previous female cultivator who tried to sign up.

"Alright, hold this and go exchange it for spirit stones over there. Two days later, gather at the Windwatch Pavilion outside the city at the hour of the Dragon to head to the Black Swamp for Liuyun Kou mining," the staff member said after completing the registration, handing back the temporary identification tag to Zhang Yiyi. In addition, they also provided a separate token from the Bai family for mining, to be used for collecting the first batch of spirit stones and exchanging them for a substantial commission upon returning from mining the Liuyun Kou.

After successfully registering, like the others, Zhang Yiyi went to the other side to line up for the ten spirit stones that were distributed in advance. After observing for a while nearby without drawing attention, she finally left.

The Bai family wasn't concerned about someone taking the ten spirit stones and running away, as both entry and exit at the city gate were recorded. Unless someone intended to leave Jiagu Guan City after taking the spirit stones, they would have to come back eventually.

Moreover, the commissions offered for mining by the Bai family were where the real money lay. Anyone registering was doing so primarily for that substantial sum of spirit stones, so they were not worried about applicants signing up and not showing up.

"Why is it taking so long? I feel like I'm suffocating in there!"

Finally freed from the beast pouch, Mao Qiu climbed onto Zhang Yiyi's shoulder, looking furious and panting as if he had almost suffocated.