Chapter 56 - Robbery

"It was just a coincidence."

Luo Qiheng averted his gaze, avoiding the particularly sunny smile on Zhang Yiyi's face. He didn't offer any further explanation. 

He was never good at communication, and what he said earlier was already more than usual.

Both Yuan Ying and Chen Fan, on the other hand, didn't show much reaction to Zhang Yiyi's successful Foundation Establishment. After all, Zhang Yiyi had already reached the peak of Qi Refining and was solid in her cultivation. Establishing her foundation in the secret realm was within reason.

Yuan Xiaoqi, however, reacted quite dramatically, looking heartbroken as even her last shred of hope vanished.

"Ahh, Yiyi, how could you just happen to advance at this exact moment?"

Yuan Ying, noticing her reaction, slapped the back of her head and scolded, "What do you mean 'just happen to'? Yiyi's cultivation was already there, and she could've advanced at any time! Besides, even if she were still in the Qi Refining stage, you wouldn't be able to beat her. Stop overthinking and behave!"

Her words were harsh but true. Yuan Xiaoqi, recalling Zhang Yiyi's ferocity when she killed the third-rank wolf king in the desert days before, felt even more dejected.

Though feeling wronged by her senior sister's scolding, she wisely shut his mouth.

How embarrassing. She was indeed the weakest among the group. But realizing this also helped her let go of her last bit of regret.

"When the time comes, you all focus on collecting the keys. I'll cover you. We can't let outsiders take advantage of the situation!"

Yuan Xiaoqi quickly regained her spirit and eagerly volunteered to provide protection for the group. Even if she couldn't join them in the Yingtai trial ground, it didn't stop her from wanting to be part of the team.

Yuan Xiaoqi's enthusiasm and loyalty brought smiles to everyone's faces.

In a world full of cruelty and treachery, where personal gain was paramount, such camaraderie was especially precious, further deepening the bond within their small group.

Once they finalized their plan, Zhang Yiyi didn't rush to act. There were still nearly two days left before the secret realm would close, and she didn't want their group to become the prime target for others prematurely.

Although those people probably had no idea what the bronze shards truly were, it wouldn't stop them from coveting them. After all, anything that appeared in such a special place was bound to be extraordinary.

Over the next day or so, the group adjusted themselves to their best condition, ready for the final move. 

Of course, they kept a close watch on the bronze shards. Even with a minuscule chance of someone getting ahead of them, they couldn't let their guard down.

True to her word, Yuan Xiaoqi diligently fulfilled her role as a lookout. As for Mo Yan, who had stormed off after being provoked by Zhang Yiyi, he hadn't returned to their group.

Zhang Yiyi didn't mind her fellow disciple's decision to gather a couple of others and form a separate team. In fact, she found it saved her some trouble.

After all, once they secured the shards, they were bound to have a falling out with Mo Yan.

"It's time. Get ready to move."

With half a day left, Zhang Yiyi stood up, deciding not to wait any longer.

If the timing of the mystic realm's closure was off or came earlier than expected, all their efforts would be in vain. It was better to leave some leeway for fights than cut it too close.

Soon, the six of them simultaneously flew to the airspace above the river, determined not to leave any chance for others.

After days of trying, almost everyone by the riverbank had given up hope of retrieving the bronze shards. The idea of acquiring an immortal weapon had proven to be an illusion.

Thus, when five or six people suddenly soared into the previously deserted sky above the river, they immediately attracted the attention of everyone present.

"Brother Mo, aren't those your fellow disciples?" 

The person from Wandan Valley suddenly perked up, addressing Mo Yan. "Why are they all going there together? Could they have found a way to collect the shards?"

The man from Wandan Valley had always looked down on Mo Yan for failing to discipline even his own sect's junior sisters. Still, Mo Yan was a direct disciple of a True Saint of the Mahayana stage, and his strength surpassed theirs, so they had no choice but to maintain ties with him unless absolutely necessary.

Mo Yan's eyes grew cold as he suddenly realized something. However, by the time he wanted to chase after them, Zhang Yiyi and the others had already acted.

In a matter of moments, the five bronze shards, which had remained motionless for so long, were now collected by the group, each person taking one!

"You tricked me, Zhang Yiyi!"

Now understanding the situation, Mo Yan was furious, his eyes fixed on Zhang Yiyi with a gaze that could burn through her.

The others, however, were in an uproar. What had they just witnessed?

How was it possible that the bronze shards had actually been collected, and so easily at that?

"Don't let them get away! Make them hand over the shards!"

Someone immediately voiced what was on everyone's mind, unable to hide the excitement and greed in their tone.

"Yeah, it won't be that easy to escape!"

With a collective response, the crowd surged forward, surrounding Zhang Yiyi's group of six, who had just landed on the riverbank.

Ha! Even though they couldn't retrieve the shards themselves, it didn't matter. They could just steal them. After all, in the end, the shards would belong to whoever had the strongest fist!

Everyone here was the pride of their respective sects, and those who had survived this long in the secret realm were the best of the best. Confidence in their abilities, combined with greed, blinded them to any other considerations.

"What are you doing? Are you really planning to rob us openly?"

Yuan Xiaoqi scoffed, "Seventeen against six? Even if you manage to rob us, there are only five shards. How are you going to divide them?"

The seventeen people surrounding them came from different sects. Even though they outnumbered Zhang Yiyi's group, they were nothing more than a loose bunch. The six of them weren't really afraid.

"Get lost! This has nothing to do with you," one person snapped at Yuan Xiaoqi. "You didn't even get a piece of the shard, so stop acting tough!"

"Yeah, it doesn't matter how we divide them. Just hand over all the shards, or else..."

One person impatiently threatened, treating Zhang Yiyi's group as if they were already defeated.

However, before he could finish, Yuan Ying interrupted with a cold laugh, "Or else what? You think you can snatch food from this lady's mouth?"

The reputation of Lishan Sect's senior disciple was well earned, and many had tested her strength firsthand. The two who had stepped up earlier were no match for her.