POTS

Requested by @SieSofie

The sun streamed through the large windows of Taylor's home, illuminating the living room where Tree Paine was busy organizing a pile of papers on the coffee table. Taylor had just finished a long rehearsal and was now lounging on the couch, scrolling through her phone. Tree glanced over occasionally, trying to gauge how Taylor was feeling.

"Hey, Tay, you okay? You seem a bit... off," Tree said, noticing the way Taylor's eyes were slightly unfocused.

Taylor waved a hand dismissively. "I'm fine! Just a little tired, that's all. You know how it is."

Tree raised an eyebrow but decided not to press. Taylor had always been a bit of a trooper, pushing through exhaustion like it was a badge of honor. But moments later, as Taylor stood up to grab a drink from the kitchen, Tree's instincts kicked in.

"Tay, maybe you should—"

But before she could finish her sentence, Taylor swayed dangerously on her feet. Tree's heart dropped as she watched Taylor's eyes widen in surprise, and then, in a flash, she crumpled to the ground.

"Taylor!" Tree rushed over, kneeling beside her friend. Panic flooded her system as she checked for signs of consciousness. "Tay, can you hear me?"

Taylor lay still, and Tree's mind raced with worry. A faint tremor in Taylor's foot and the slight rise and fall of her chest were the only indicators that she was still alive.

"Okay, okay, just breathe," Tree whispered, trying to calm herself as she fished her phone out of her pocket to call for help. Just as she pressed the emergency number, Taylor groaned softly, blinking her eyes open.

"Ugh, what happened?" she mumbled, her voice a mere whisper.

"You fainted!" Tree exclaimed, relief flooding her. "What the hell, Tay? Are you okay?"

Taylor pushed herself up into a sitting position, rubbing her temples. "Yeah, I just— It happens sometimes."

Tree, still worried, sat down next to her. "But why? You can't just faint out of nowhere. Do you need to see a doctor? Is this about your health?"

Taylor sighed, leaning back against the couch. "It's just... I have POTS."

Tree blinked in confusion. "What's that?"

"Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. It messes with my blood flow and heart rate, especially when I stand up," Taylor explained, sounding a bit embarrassed. "Sometimes I just faint."

Tree felt a mix of frustration and concern. "And you never thought to tell me this?"

"I didn't want to worry you," Taylor replied, looking down at her hands.

Tree shook her head, trying to process everything. "Tay, you can't keep things like this to yourself! You need to take care of yourself, and I can't help if I don't know what's going on."

Taylor looked up, her expression softening. "I know, I'm sorry. It's just... I thought I could manage it."

Tree took a deep breath, pushing down the fear that had gripped her when Taylor fainted. "From now on, we're in this together. No more hiding things. Promise?"

Taylor nodded slowly, a small smile breaking through her fatigue. "Promise."

Tree hugged her tightly, feeling the weight of the moment. "And if you ever faint again, I'm calling an ambulance."

Taylor chuckled softly, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "You might scare them away with your screaming."

"Hey, I'm just looking out for you!" Tree replied, laughing despite herself.

As they settled back into the living room, the earlier tension began to ease. Tree knew they had a long road ahead, but for the first time in a while, she felt hopeful.

"You know," Taylor said, breaking the comfortable silence, "I could really go for some saltine crackers right now."

Tree grinned, playfully rolling her eyes. "Alright, let's go before you faint again from hunger!"

And together, they headed to the kitchen, ready to face whatever challenges lay ahead—together.

Request?