13: The Aftermath

The drive back to her apartment was a blur. The weight of Ona's departure pressed heavily on her chest, and by the time she returned home, she was emotionally drained. Every step felt like it took a monumental effort, and all she wanted was to collapse on her couch and forget everything for a while.

But Lucy knew there was no escape. The silence of her apartment felt suffocating, the absence of Ona like a ghost that lingered in every corner.

Lucy sank onto the couch, burying her face in her hands as the tears she had been holding back finally spilled over. The grief of losing Ona hit her all at once, crashing over her like a tidal wave. She had loved Ona deeply, and though things had fallen apart, that love hadn't just disappeared. It was still there, raw and aching, leaving a gaping hole in her chest.

As she sat there, her mind racing, her phone buzzed again. This time, Lucy knew she couldn't ignore it.

It was Erin.

Erin: Where are you? I've been trying to contact you for hours.

Lucy's stomach twisted with guilt. She hadn't told Erin anything about Ona coming to London, hadn't even mentioned the complicated emotions she had been struggling with. And now... now, she had to tell her the truth.

Lucy: We need to talk. Can you please come over?

Erin: Okay, I will be there in 15 minutes

She stared at the message and felt a pit form in her stomach. Erin deserved the truth, but Lucy wasn't sure how to tell her. Erin had become a part of her life in a way she hadn't expected, and now, with what had happened with Ona, she knew she was going to hurt her....

But there was no avoiding it.

After 15 minutes, she heard a knock on her front door. She wiped away her tears, stood up, and headed for the door, bracing herself for the conversation that was to come.