Ch 10: Proposal

Emma's world was spinning. Her heart pounded violently in her chest, her mind scrambling to process what was happening. Alex—her, Alex—was the killer. The man she had fallen for, trusted, shared intimate moments with... he had been playing her all along.

She stared at him, her face pale and frozen, unable to comprehend the betrayal that now felt like a weight crushing her chest. The way his breath had brushed against her skin, his mocking whisper in her ear—"You've stepped into something you shouldn't have."—it was all too much.

Emma's world spun as Alex's arm tightened around her, the cold gun pressing lightly against her throat. The man she had fallen for, the one she had spent countless nights with, was the killer. It didn't make sense. Her mind raced, piecing together every intimate moment, every laugh they shared, all tainted by the horrifying truth. How had she missed it? How had she let him get this close?

"Not so fast, Detective," Alex whispered again, his voice dripping with amusement. He leaned closer, his breath warm against her ear. "You really think you can outsmart me?"

Emma's hand trembled as it instinctively moved toward her gun. She fumbled, her fingers shaky and uncertain, until she finally gripped the handle. Her heart raced, each beat pounding in her ears. She had to stop him. She had to end this nightmare.

But then, something shifted. The pressure on her throat disappeared. Slowly, Alex stepped back, his smirk deepening as he watched her. Emma pulled the gun free, her eyes wide, her breath ragged.

"Stay back," she whispered, her voice cracking. "Don't come any closer, Alex."

But Alex only chuckled. He raised his hands in a mocking surrender, taking a step toward her anyway. His eyes gleamed with a strange excitement, like this moment was the culmination of something he'd been waiting for.

"Emma, put the gun down," he said softly, his voice calm, almost tender.

She shook her head, tears welling in her eyes. "How could you? All this time, I trusted you. I—"

Before she could finish, Alex's movements took her off guard. He suddenly dropped to one knee, a grin spreading across his face as he reached into his jacket pocket. Emma's breath hitched, her mind too stunned to process what was happening. Her eyes widened as Alex pulled out a small velvet box and flipped it open, revealing a gleaming diamond ring.

Her heart stuttered in disbelief.

The warehouse seemed to close in around her, the shadows twisting as her brain fought to catch up. A proposal?

"What... what are you doing?" she asked, her voice trembling, still clutching her gun with shaky hands.

Alex's smirk remained, though his eyes softened, playing the perfect picture of a man in love. "Emma," he began, his voice thick with emotion, "I've been waiting for the right moment. I wanted it to be special... and what better way than when you're caught completely off guard?"

Emma blinked, her mind reeling. She had gone from thinking she was about to be murdered to watching the man she loved propose in the span of mere seconds. The shock was overwhelming. She could barely register the sound of footsteps behind her.

As Alex smiled up at her, her coworkers—Detective Rogers, Captain Reynolds, and a handful of other detectives—suddenly appeared behind them, emerging from the darkness with wide grins and chuckles. "Gotcha!" Reynolds bellowed, clapping his hands together. "Didn't see that one coming, did you, Emma?"

Emma's gun slipped from her grasp, hitting the floor with a dull thud as the truth of the moment washed over her. It wasn't real. The fear. The danger. It had all been an elaborate setup—crafted by Alex and her colleagues—to propose to her.

Her knees gave way as she stumbled forward, collapsing into Alex's arms, tears flowing freely now. "I— I can't believe you... you scared me half to death!" she sobbed, but there was no anger in her voice, only relief, joy, and the overwhelming emotions of the night.

Alex grinned as he opened the box, revealing a beautiful engagement ring nestled inside. "Emma Stewart," he said, his voice deep and filled with emotion, "will you marry me?"

Emma's laugh bubbled through her tears as she clung to him, nodding as she let her forehead rest against his. "Unforgettable," she echoed, her heart thudding with love and disbelief. "Yes, Alex... yes!" "Yes, I'll marry you."

The warehouse erupted in cheers and applause as Alex stood, pulling her into his arms and holding her close. He kissed her gently, and she melted into him, the confusion and fear of the last few moments evaporating in the warmth of the moment.

But behind his charming smile, Alex's mind was spinning. She said yes.

As the cheers from the crowd swelled around them, Alex held her tighter, whispering softly in her ear. "I love you, Emma. Always."

He kissed her once more, his lips grazing hers with a tenderness that masked his true intentions. She had no idea what she had just walked into. 

No one had any idea.

To them, this was just the start of a beautiful love story, but to Alex, this was the perfect trap. His plan had worked flawlessly. Now, with the engagement secured, Emma would never suspect him again. She'd trust him completely, invite him deeper into her life, and into the heart of every investigation.

He could be at her side every step of the way, watching her, manipulating her, making sure she never uncovered the truth. And all the while, he would destroy every piece of evidence she found, erase every trail that led back to him.

The game was far from over—it was just beginning. Now, he could truly play with her, without fear of suspicion. She'd be looking for the killer, while the killer would be right beside her.

As Emma hugged him tighter, Alex leaned down, pressing his lips against her ear. "I love you, Emma," he whispered, his voice dripping with sincerity.

And Emma, caught in the moment, whispered back, "I love you too."

Now, as her husband, he could stay close to her. He could be there for every investigation, every new clue she might find. He could manipulate her, mislead her, and most importantly, destroy every piece of evidence that came too close to revealing the truth.

He kissed her once more, his lips grazing hers with a tenderness that masked his true intentions. She had no idea what she had just walked into. Their marriage would only make things easier for him. He could watch her every move, keep her close, and she would never suspect him again.

But only Alex knew the truth.

That the real game was just beginning.