Chapter 19. Deciding To Co-Operate

Ten long days had passed since Lucy's release from isolation. She had managed to convince the staff that she was trying, eating at least one meal a day. But the other two meals were still a battlefield. Food was her her enemy, and she fought against it with every fiber of her being.

She would throw it, force herself to vomit, even hide it in her bed sheets - anything to avoid consuming it. The staff remained patient, but Lucy could sense their frustration. They wanted her to recover, to find peace.

But the road was long and arduous. And Tim...she hadn't seen him in two weeks. His absence was a constant reminder of her failure, her refusal to fully embrace recovery. She missed his understanding smile, his gentle encouragement.

But she knew she had pushed him away with her destructive behavior. Every time she sat down for a meal, she thought of him, of how disappointed he must be. It was a bitter pill to swallow, but one she couldn't ignore.

Still, she held onto the hope that one day, she would be strong enough to face him again, to prove she was worth saving.

Lucy sat in the bustling canteen, feeling like a fish out of water. The hum of conversation and clattering of cutlery was a stark contrast to the deafening silence of her isolation room. She was allowed to eat here now, under strict supervision, of course.

The staff member beside her kept a close eye, ensuring she didn't try anything. On her plate was a simple meal - jacket potato, beans, and cheese. Her stomach churned at the sight, and her hands itched to throw it all away. But she knew the consequences. She couldn't bear to lose what little progress she had made.

Just as she was about to take a bite, the door swung open, and the entire room seemed to hold its breath. A new girl was escorted in, her eyes wide and frightened. Lucy recognized the look instantly, having worn it herself not so long ago.

Despite her own turmoil, she found herself wanting to reach out, to offer comfort. Instead, she remained seated, silently watching as the newcomer was guided to a table nearby. Their gazes met for a brief moment, and Lucy offered a small, reassuring smile. It was all she could give, but she hoped it helped.

With Sarah's (her supervisor) persistent encouragement, Lucy forced herself to eat. Each bite of the jacket potato felt like lead in her mouth, but she swallowed it down, fighting the urge to retch.

Sarah's kind words and gentle prodding were a constant presence, reminding her why she was doing this. *For Tim, for herself, for a chance at life.* She told herself over and over again. Her stomach protested, but she continued, determined to finish the meal. When she finally pushed the empty plate away, she was hit with a wave of nausea.

She closed her eyes, taking deep breaths, trying to calm herself down. "You did great, Lucy," Sarah said, patting her shoulder. Lucy couldn't bring herself to reply, instead she offered a weak nod, grateful for the small victory.

Around them, the noise of the canteen resumed, but it was muted, distant. All she could focus on was the discomfort in her body, the unfamiliar feeling of being full. She hoped it wouldn't last long.

As they left the canteen, Lucy could feel Sarah's apprehension. She wondered what was coming next. When Sarah broke the news about her new roommate, Lucy felt her heart skip a beat. Upon deeper look, she recognised who it was. Celina - the new rookie from the station. Seeing her here, in this place, brought back a flood of memories.

They had been friendly at work, sharing stories and laughter during their shifts. But now...now they were both patients, fighting their own demons. Lucy hesitated as they approached her stomach twisting into knots.

She glanced at Celina, who looked equally surprised. "Hey, Celina," she said weakly. Sarah gave her an encouraging nod before standing outside the door. Lucy's mind raced with thoughts, but she pushed them aside.

Lucy listened intently as Celina unraveled her story, her heart going out to the younger woman. Celina spoke of the relentless cycle of binging and purging, of the shame that consumed her after every episode.

She shared her fears, her hopes, and her regrets. Lucy could see the pain etched on her face, hear it in her voice. It was a raw, honest confession, and Lucy felt honored that Celina trusted her enough to share it. As she listened, she couldn't help but draw parallels between their experiences.

They were different, but the underlying emotions were the same. *We're not so different after all,* Lucy thought, feeling a strange sense of kinship.

She offered words of understanding and encouragement, drawing from her own journey. When Celina finished speaking, Lucy reached out, giving her hand a comforting squeeze.

"You're not alone here, Celina. We'll face this together," she said, her voice stronger now. In that moment, she realized that helping Celina might just be the key to helping herself.

Lucy took a deep breath, preparing herself for the vulnerability that was about to follow. She began to tell Celina about her struggle with anorexia, starting from the first time she had looked in the mirror and hated what she saw.

She spoke of the relentless pursuit of perfection, the control it gave her amidst the chaos of life. She shared the lies she told herself, the excuses she made to avoid food, the hours spent exercising in secret.

The more she spoke, the easier it became. Celina's empathetic expression was a balm to her soul, and Lucy found herself opening up like never before. She told Celina about Tim, her therapist who had become her lifeline in this place.

She recounted her time in isolation, the fear and despair that threatened to consume her. When she finished, she felt a weight lifted off her shoulders.

For the first time in a long while, she didn't feel so alone. "We both have our battles to fight," Lucy said softly. "But maybe, just maybe, we can help each other win this war."

Celina and Lucy spent the rest of the afternoon talking, their voices filling the small room with a sense of camaraderie.

They laughed at shared memories from the police station, discussed their favorite books, and even exchanged stories about their families. As the sun began to set and it was time for group therapy, they walked down the hallway together, their steps in sync. Lucy felt a spark of hope ignite within her.

Maybe this friendship was exactly what she needed. As they entered the therapy room, they exchanged a determined look. "We're in this together, Celina," Lucy said, her voice steady. "And we'll get better - for ourselves, and for each other." Celina nodded, her eyes shining with resolve. "I promise, Lucy," she replied, squeezing Lucy's hand.

Together, they joined the circle of patients, ready to face whatever challenges group therapy would bring. Their bond was new, but it was strong, forged in the fires of their shared struggles.

They leaned on each other, finding solace in their mutual understanding. And as the session began, they silently vowed to support one another, through every step of recovery.

1125 words!! hope you enjoyed <3