Chapter Five: Rebuilding and Overcoming

A few weeks had passed, nearly a month since the chaos had unfolded. Carter and Owen were back at Yokai Academy, navigating the social minefield of students who had chosen sides. Some stood with Carter, rallying behind his fierce defense of humanity, while others aligned with Tsukune, the supposed hero of coexistence. Owen found himself caught in the middle, as usual, trying to mend the rift between brothers and friends.

_______________________________________________________________________

"Uh-huh." Owen was in an empty classroom, his voice echoing slightly as he spoke to Edwin Oshua, their uncle. "Yeah, yeah, we know—we know. Thanks, Uncle Ed. We love you too. I'll tell Carter you said hi. Bye." He hung up the phone and turned to his brother. "Get this: Spellcastia is the name of the Witch who manipulated Queen Dragkina and the goblins that are now... extinct."

"That's the name of the Witch?" Carter asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah," Owen replied, a serious tone creeping into his voice. "She's been playing humans and monsters against each other. According to Uncle Edwin, some monsters are living in his community, but they're not causing any trouble... yet. Anyway, Spellcastia is trying to rile up the monsters so that the armed forces in Garos will react."

"So this Witch is using fear and skepticism to turn humans and monsters against each other?" Carter mused, shaking his head in disbelief. "Ingenious. In a bad way—definitely in a bad way."

"Uh-huh..." Owen nodded. "Someone like her could get along with someone like you."

Carter shot him a glare. "Don't get it twisted. Just because I like killing monsters doesn't mean I don't feel guilty about it. It's just that... Everyone needs to know their place. We're supposed to be diverse. Coexistence might work for aliens and humans, sure, but monsters and humans? We have thousands of years of evidence against it. Should I bring up Count Dracula? Kira the Wolfwoman? Or how about the countless other creatures that have no problem slaughtering families right before their eyes? People refuse to see it."

"...It doesn't have to be that way." Owen countered gently. "Take Tsukune, for example—"

Carter rubbed his temples, exasperated. "Oh God... not the Harem King."

"Before he was the Harem King, he was just a normal human. No friends, no future. He stumbled into this place thanks to his parents. After that, the rest is history. My point is, before Tsukune became a ghoul-vampire hybrid, he was a human who showed no signs of malice toward monsters."

"Okay... Is that all?" Carter pressed, skepticism still etched on his face.

"Carter, you and I both know there's good and bad in every race of humans. How much more for monsters?" Owen asked earnestly.

Carter sighed, frustration boiling under the surface. "You don't get it, Owen. I mean—you do, but not entirely. Think about what Tsukune was to Moka: a blood bank. To Kurumu? A simp. Yukari? That's debatable. Mizore... I don't even want to know. And then there's Ruby, the other Witch. They were all in love with Tsukune, but only because he fulfilled their needs, not because of his good heart or intentions. That might work in a harem, but not in reality. Again and again, we keep trying to defy nature. How many more people have to die before anyone realizes this is a waste of time?"

"I hope not too many," Owen replied, his voice heavy with concern. "Carter, you're my big brother, and I love you with all my heart. You used to be so optimistic; you believed there was good in people—even the gangsters and the gang lords."

"I've changed... little brother," Carter said, a hint of sorrow creeping into his voice.

"I know," Owen replied. "But I've overlooked the vampire side of you because no matter how much vampire blood runs through your veins, you're still an Oshuan. You're still a human. You're still my brother. You taught me to see the good in others, to only kill if someone is too far gone to save. You showed me what it truly means to be a hero. Physically, you may have changed, but your morals and your desire for peace will always remain the same." With that, Owen exited the empty classroom, closing the door gently behind him.