Chapter 8

Al-Mutanabbi (10th century):
I am the one who loves, and loves with passion
And my love is not diminished by distance

Haniyyah was arranging mocktail drinks and decorating the cups for a group of people that wanted to have their business meeting in their restaurant. She encircled the rim of the cup with lime and put sugar around it. The sugar got attached to the lime at the rim and it came out perfect. She mixed her signature mock tails and put a beautiful straw inside the cups, satisfied with her work, she washed her hands and cleaned it, she was about to take the drinks when she felt an arm wrapped up around her from behind.

At first, she was taken aback at this sudden gesture, but she recognised the scent of the person and her heart eased. "Guess who." The voiced said happily.

The cinnamon and mint scent mixed with oud perfume will always belong to one person. Her best friend, Sadiya. Without a second thought, she turned around and wrapped her arms around her.

She hugged her for some minutes with no words exchanged, but only silent tears as they fall from her eyes, they weren't tears of sadness, but tears of happiness and longing. She released her and looked her her through her glasses, "I can't believe it's you." she said, wiping her tears. "I really missed you. Longest time."

Sadiya didn't know what to say as she took sight of her best friend, she didn't know what to say as she hugged her for the second time. Words failed to describe what she felt in her heart. She is seeing her friend after 6 months. After 6 months of longing.

"How have you been my anam cara. I missed you more more more more" she drawled it. Being her dramatic self as usual.

"Can you want a minute? I want to take this drinks to a table, they are a very important people."

Sadiya sat down as the far end in the kitchen as she waited for her friend. They had a lot to catch on and she knows she's busy but she was so eager to see her that she just dropped by where she worked.

She got so busy with work plus her friend is waiting for her, she got done with her work quickly and she finally got time to sit with her friend.

"Sa'adah, I'm supposed to be mad at you. you don't even call me, I thought you forgot about your friend on the other part of the world." Haniyyah teased.

"No Wallahi, I've been so busy with school and I can't reach you. your number. I didn't know how to contact you as your line wasn't reachable. I almost lost my mind over there Wallahi . So much happened and I can't wait to fill you in" Sadiya ranted. "How could I forget Hanani? Never." She said, taking a sip of the mocktail Haniyyah offered her.

"I guessed so too, so, how have you been? How's life in Morocco? Quite cool right?" She asked.

"It's fine, but very stressful. Forget about me, Tell me? How are you doing? How's work and Ammar and Janaan? I really missed you guys. I can't wait to see them." She said while clapping.

"We are all doing well Alhamdulillah. They're in school now. I'm sure they'd also be surprised when they see you after many months."

"I'm telling you, I can't wait to see them too. I brought many gifts for them. I got Janaan the books she loves and Ammar, his ball and many more. She ranted nonstop . Mama sends her greetings too."

"That's so nice of her."

Sadiya Tahir. Haniyyah's childhood best friend. They grew up together since they were young and they were inseparable, until Sadiya's parents relocated to Abuja. And from there, she was taken to Morocco to study. They were far away, In different countries all together.