Chapter 2

Imru' al-Qais (6th century):
"Stop, oh my friends, and let us weep
For the memories of a love that has passed"

The sky lifted up its veil and the sun shone brightly in the sky. The sounds of cars moving and birds chirping could be heard as he lay down in hospital room, his mind taking him in a memory lane to the best, yet worst day in his life. A day he couldn't erase from his memory.

"where are you guys, I can't wait to see my my wife ." He said with a face full of light and smile that refused to go away, today, he got married to the absolute love of his life.

"Don't worry Jaan, we are on our way now, have patience." she said, her sweet voice, going straight to his heart. "And then, you will have me all to yourself." She said the last part with a hint of mischief and he just smirked.

"Wait till you come here. Tell the driver to drive fast. My friends are here pissing me off." He turned to see his two best friends, Salim and AbdulMajeed giving him teasing looks. After all, he's the first person between them to break their single circle and get married, that too, to the absolute love of his life.

She laughed and put the phone on hands free for his trusted driver, who is the one driving her to her matrimonial home. "Here, the phone is on hands free, talk to your friend"

"Hey, I'm here waiting for my wife and you're a driving slowly, is it because you're not married yet? Bring her to me now now." He said teasingly and his friend just laughed. "Who told you to get a house far away from the city? And now, I'll be driving slowly, if you like, come and get her from me." He replied back and Mubarak just laughed.

She placed the phone on her earlop and closed her eyes. "Jaan, I really can't believe we are married, after many years after many struggles and many years of waiting, I'm finally yours." She said calmly, her heart beating erratically as she craves to be in her lovers arm. He kept mum and listened to her as she spoke.

"Can you make me a promise tho?" She asked after a while and he just hummed. "Jaan, say yes!!" She whined and he just chuckled."

"Okay, yes!"

"Do you promise to love me till your last breath? Do you promise to always keep me close in your heart? Because you see, I have no control over my heart, it beats for you and there's no place for another, for, I promise to love you till my last breath."

Her words went straight to his heart. The love she has for him keeps him going and now, she's confessing it again. "Yes, I promise. I promise to love you will my last breath and me and you are meant to be together forever. God Forbid if something happens to you, I don't know how if I can continue living."

"I pray I die before you, there was before you, but I don't know how I will survive after you...WATCH OUTT!!!"

She was talking when she shouted and he heard a loud thud, sound of a glass crashing and he could feel his whole world come to a stand still. His heart leapt to his foot and he immediately stood up, he just hoped it isn't what he's thinking.

"Hello?? Hello?? Hello. Can you hear me." He kept calling out, but all he heard was the sound of a car horning loudly. With his heart beating erratically, he took his car key and went out, looking dishevelled and scared. His friends around him kept asking him what was wrong, but he ignored their question and made his way out with the phone in his ear.

He jumped to his car and immediately started the ignition, he didn't know where he was going to but he know he has to be with her right now,. Thousand of thoughts were running through his head but he ignored them all as he drove very fast through the road.