ᴄᴀɴ ʏᴏᴜ ꜰᴇᴇʟ ɪᴛ ᴛᴏᴏ?

⋆✮ ᴏᴀ'ʀᴇꜱ ᴘᴏɪɴᴛ ᴏꜰ ᴠɪᴇᴡ ✮⋆

 I sat before Ronal and Tonowari, their faces etched with concern and a strange kind of pride

I sat before Ronal and Tonowari, their faces etched with concern and a strange kind of pride. They were talking about my future, my life, and I felt a knot of dread tighten in my chest.

"Oa're" Ronal said, her voice soft but firm, "You will play a vital role in our clan, a spiritual one. You have a strong connection to Eywa, a powerful one"

My eyes darted towards Tsireya, her eyes widening in surprise. "But...but Tsireya" I stammered. "She's always been seen as the next Tsahik to the people"

Ronal shook her head. "Aonung will be the next Olo'eyktan" she declared, her gaze shifting towards him. "And you, Oa're, will be his life partner"

Aonung hissed lowly, a sound that made me flinch "So, we're meant to mate?" he asked, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Just like that, our future is decided?"

Ronal closed her eyes and nodded once before reopening them. "It is the will of Eywa"

Fresh tears stung my eyes once her words finally began to sink in. I couldn't breathe, think, or move. I was paralyzed with fear, and overcome with nausea.

They couldn't be serious? Right? There was no way they expected me to be bound to Aonung for eternity. He hates me, and calls me ugly and a big mistake. How could i give a piece of my soul to someone like him?

"But mother i don't..." Aonung began, his voice rising with frustration.

"It has been decided!" Tonowari's voice boomed like thunder, silencing Aonung instantly. He slunk back, his face filled with anger and disappointment.

I couldn't speak, the words trapped in my throat. This wasn't my path, my future. It was forced upon me, a burden I didn't seek, a life dictated by tradition and destiny. I wiped the tears from my face and left without saying anything else.

Each step i took chipped away the pain in my heart. I had nowhere to run, but i had somewhere to hide.

A sigh escaped my lips as i slipped past a torn curtain, entering an abandoned marui. Neteyam was pacing around, restless energy crackling off of him like static.

Warmth flooded my face when he turned, his eyes finding mine instantly. "Oa're" His shaky hand grabbed my arm, pulling me further inside. "Do you feel things when you look at me?" He whispered, raw emotion dripping for each word.

I looked up into his eyes, the same golden ones that made all of my problems go away, the ones i dreamt of whenever i fell asleep. "It doesn't matter" I murmured, looking away.

He pulled me closer, pressing our chests up against each other. "It does matter" he whispered.

My throat went dry as i felt the rigid rise and fall of his chest against mine. I swallowed, trying to find the right words. He leaned down, gently rubbing his face against mine. His scent filled my senses as i began to return the action. Our breaths mixed, both quick and shallow.

His lips brushed against mine in a gentle caress. "Do you want me like i want you?" his voice was deeper, filled with longing, and a nervous energy.

My heart pounded against my ribs. "Yes" i breathed, the word barely audible.

He pressed his lips against mine, and it felt like the ground beneath me disappeared. Kissing him felt like floating, i've never felt so alive.

Our lips moved together frantically, craving more of the growing connection we shared. He ran a hand down my braided queue, sending shivers throughout my body. "Neteyam" I gasped, digging my nails into his shoulders. I've never felt anything like this before, it was both exhilarating and terrifying.

His fingers gently ran up, and down my long braid. "I've felt this feeling in my chest ever since i seen you" he murmured, wrapping a hand around my braid.

A smile formed on my lips as he began placing kisses down my neck, his lips tracing a path to the curve of my shoulder. "I like you, Oa're" His words were hot against my skin, filling my heart with a burning joy.

"I like you too, Neteyam" I whispered, running my hands through his beaded braids. A wave a guilt washed over me once i remembered the conversation from earlier. I belonged to Aonung, and i had duties to learn. In a few seasons i'd have to mate with him, i had no choice in the matter. The thought felt suffocating, it was wrong to keep this from Neteyam, but i had to.

"What's wrong?" Neteyam asked, snapping me out of my trance.

I hadn't realized i stopped kissing him until now. "I'm just happy" I smiled softly, moving a few braids away from his face.

He smiled back at me, "Me too" his accent thickened, blessing my ears like a song from the great mother.

I stood up on my tippy toes, pressing my lips to his again. The secret didn't matter right now, because in this moment i pretended that nobody else existed. It was just us. I wasn't the future Tsahik, i was just Oa're. And Neteyam didn't have the burden of fighting to protect his family, he was just Neteyam.

Soon i'd have to face reality again...just now right now.