CHAPTER 14: ALIVE AGAIN

She was happy. Yes, Kate was truly happy that night, just as she hadn't been for a very long time. Yet, her happiness wasn't related to a specific moment but to everything that happened at that moment because, besides the jokes she heard that night and the happy moments she spent next to her three new friends, the atmosphere in Alex's small apartment was something she couldn't compare to anything else that had happened before in her life. Especially, she couldn't compare what she felt in that strange apartment to everything that had happened to her since she was in Westport, those few weeks when she had lived mostly alone in that cold hotel room that had to be their new home and bring her and her boyfriend closer to each other.

That new place turned them into strangers in the end. Their relationship got colder and colder and they even weren't talking to each other anymore. Yes, they had really gotten not to talk to each other anymore that Kate lost the number of the days when she had waited for him to turn back, to tell her at least a word or steal a kiss from her as Alexander had been about to do that night, but it didn't happen eventually.

Then she smiled. Kate smiled the moment she remembered the man's clumsiness. She clearly saw it shining in his glance when he looked elsewhere, afraid that she could discover his secret: that he'd been about to allow that strange instinct, which spurred him to kiss the woman who had stolen his heart a couple of weeks ago, to control him.

Instead of a kiss, Alex had stolen a smile from her that night. He also grabbed her hand, like that night when he saved her from those men and then they walked for a long time on the streets, mostly silently rather than talking. They exchanged feelings and thoughts though, like those a human can rarely exchange with someone. Especially, they exchanged smiles, sad mostly because that night Kate got to compare Alex with Jonathan, finding in one only virtue and only defects in the other one.

Honestly, that comparison was mostly for Jonathan with Alex rather than Alex with Ward because, through what Alexander was and showed it to her, it turned out to be a starting point for Kate to wonder if all she lived was real or just her imagination. She didn't mean that she lived in a story, locked in a tower or something like that, although her cold hotel room could be compared somehow to that tower where the princesses kidnapped by ogres were forced to stay until they accepted to belong to those who kidnapped them. Yet... „It's still so unfair... Life is unfair mostly and our hearts, which can't decide whom to love."

Kate caught this thought crossing her mind when she looked at Erin and Mark, who were laughing loudly after a joke by Flynn, and saw a weird shining in their glances. That shine seemed to be because of love, something she had often seen in her eyes each time she looked in the mirror and thought about Jonathan. At least, Kate had seen that shine at the beginning when she was really in love and when he was still gallant, giving her flowers and dreams. Then, when he started to give her only waiting and the coldness from his soul, Kate stopped seeing that magic shine in her glance. Instead of this, she started to see sadness and disappointment. Even so, she didn't leave him or leave all that behind, although she knew that maybe it was already time to move on and leave all that behind.

Where to go though? Where should she have gone after that? Kate didn't know. She couldn't decide that, and this hurt her. Yes, it hurt more than the waiting, which forced her to stay locked in that hotel room most of the time, immersed in the world of books just to make sure she was able to escape, even if it was for a short time only, the world where she lived and the cruel reality. Kate thought about this all those nights when she tried to fall asleep but she couldn't. Yes, those thoughts hurt her, making her feel that the nights were cold like ice, just as it was cold the bed under her, despite the good fire that was burning in the fireplace. She felt all this because she was aware that the bed of a beautiful woman couldn't be warmed by the fire but by the love of the man that had stolen her heart.