CHAPTER 10: THOUGHTS

A lot of thoughts took over Alex after that unexpected walk he had with his beautiful Helen of Troy, who had stolen his heart on that rainy day, having no intention of giving it back to him. Those were thoughts about them, about the world, ideals, and, not the least, about love. Especially, those were thoughts about how pathetic he'd been that night, how clumsy and weird he had been next to a beautiful woman whom he wanted with him but toward whom he couldn't find the right path, even if this was the only true desire he had really had in his life.

With such thoughts in his head, Alexander spent more than half an hour in the hot shower. He clearly felt the hot water on his skin, even if he thought it was only his imagination. All this was undoubtedly because his mind wasn't focused at that moment but wandered those narrow and dark streets, walking side by side with her, and stealing a smile from her with his innocent questions. He was also watching her on the sly, so amazed to see how beautiful she could be. Unlike him, that beautiful Helen of Troy was looking only at the autumn asphalt, as it was characteristic of an ancient goddess - to look only in front and never at the one who's by her side, even if she set up the rhythm of her footsteps after the rhythm of his.

Alex felt so good thinking about such things. He often smiled when he remembered that they finally had some time together - only he and the muse of his heart. They spent alone that time. They exchanged more than two words, looking at each other from time to time. They even held hands, something he hadn't ever thought about, although he had dreamt of her so much. Life instead, playful and naughty like a child, had given him more than he asked her for: she gave him not only time to spend with HER but also love.

What Life didn't give to him was safety. Yes, it didn't make him sure that one day his happiness would be complete. At the same time, Alex would have liked that life to make him confident and give him the courage to find out more about her and not only her name, something he had read on her credit card when Kate gave it to him to pay the coffee that she had ordered the first day she entered his coffee shop. Then, the man read the same name on a small piece of paper, something he found between the pages of the book „A pair of blue eyes." On that small piece of paper, which was also crumpled, he read „Kathleen O'Connell, 11.11.2023." It was all that was written there, but not even this gave him more information about her. What that piece of paper gave to the man was a smile because he smiled when he read those words and numbers. He smiled because he finally found out her name. It was so pleasantly resounding in his head each time he dreamed of her and asked her to look at him. „Kate," a name so loved by his heart at that moment and maybe for an entire life.

He loved that name so much, even if he didn't have the chance to say it loudly more than a couple of times since he found it out. It happened that night when he tried to make those two individuals pay attention to him and leave her alone because it was clear that they stopped her because they had something evil in mind and not to give her some information about the road as Kate had lied to him that night. Alex had the chance to grab her hand only once and also only once he told her „Sweetheart," a word he said in his mind so many times before, but which he hadn't ever thought that he was capable of calling that name loudly... not while she was still the woman of another man and not his.

Yes, Kate O'Connell was undoubtedly the woman of another man. Alex knew this truth very well, a cruel truth that broke his heart so much. Still, he couldn't do anything to change it. Why exactly he couldn't change that reality? Because he knew that nobody ever won a fight with the heart of an in-love and stubborn woman as Kathleen seemed to be. He clearly saw that love in her eyes, clapping its wings. Alex also knew the insufferable name of that bird, one he had heard only once from Mark, but which he hadn't ever dared to say loudly - Jonathan Ward. Yes, Alex didn't dare to say this name loudly not even once since he had found it out because he felt guilty in front of the other one. He felt guilty in front of that „Worthy Rival" as he kept calling that man in his head. A rival he knew so little about - how he looked, his name, and the cause for why he was often seeing the other bird in Kate's eyes - the one with the name Sadness, which was black and strange, and which was also powerfully clapping its wings.