CHAPTER 11: AMONG FRIENDS

Returning to „Aisling" that afternoon, after walking with Kate through the park, Alex saw Mark and Erin in the coffee shop. They weren't only there but seemed to have an interesting talk, judging by the strange position of their bodies and closeness. Yes, the two were staying too close to each other at that moment. They were so close that their elbows touched sometimes when they were sipping from the coffee Robert had served them. Their eyes weren't focused on the cup but on the other's eyes, looking at each other with a certain interest. Even a strange form of love shone in them at one point.

Looking at them and seeing them so close to each other, Alex felt jealous. He had always been jealous of each suitor of his elder sister. Yet, he hadn't ever shown that because he knew that it wasn't fair to do that, once Erin had the right to be with whom she wanted. But... Mark, really? No, it was strange to him to think about this because he hadn't ever thought about Mark as a possible suitor for his sister. Erin seemed to have also felt that all this time because she had always seen Mark only when she was with Alex and never alone, although Alex heard Flynn inviting Erin to get out sometimes... only the two of them. Something could have changed meanwhile. Yes, undoubtedly, something could have changed, but Alex didn't realize that. It might have been possible because he'd been too weird lately, especially after he met Kate. He'd been immersed in his world, thoughtful, and incapable of seeing what happened to others or asking them what was going on in their lives. Nevertheless, Alex intended to find out things about them after that because it was his duty as Erin's brother to know what was going on with her and especially with her heart.

Finally seeing Erin watching him, Alex smiled. „You are back!" She told him in a playful voice. „Not alone but with a beautiful lady! Have you been hunting?"

Alex frowned. „I'm not a hunter. Neither the weather is good for that. Let's just say she's someone I know, and with whom I spent a short while."

„A pleasant time, judging by your eyes where romance is seen shining," Flynn joined their talk, looking at Kate this time and not at Alex. „Or... am I wrong?"

„At all," replied Kate, smiling, understanding that those two seemed to tease Alex. Yet, she knew they didn't do that because of malice or envy. „Actually, it's impossible not to spend a pleasant time with the owner of „A pair of blue eyes."

Kate's answer made Erin take thoughts. She did that because she didn't know how to understand those words. Only when she noticed the book in Alex's hand, did Erin understand the hint and smile. „She also thinks about him, it seems to me," thought Erin, sipping from the coffee but eyes on them. She saw them acting clumsily while exchanging meaningful looks, as though they had other plans that afternoon and hadn't ever thought about the presence of two strangers with them. This made Erin ask them in a playful voice eventually, „Did we interrupt something?"

Kate winced, although she hadn't understood the meaning of that question, at least not totally. Alex instead frowned. „Sometimes, I really don't understand what crosses your mind, Erin," he rushed to say. After that, taking Kate's coat, which she took off meanwhile, he went and hung it on the hanger, going behind the counter to serve everybody with a coffee. „Just as I don't understand why you are here when you haven't told me about this, giving me a call or texting me. Have you stepped by here because you were bored?" Alex asked that in an irritated tone, trying to let his sister understand that it wasn't the right time to be there, at least not that afternoon, and that it would have been a good idea to apologize and leave.

The tone of his voice and the way he looked at Erin made Kate insistently look at Alex. She felt something strange at the two, judging by their behavior. They seemed pretty close, just as she felt that there was something unfinished between them. „Undoubtedly a relationship because... a woman can't look at a man like that without having feelings for him."