CHAPTER 15: EVERYTHING STARTS WITH A KISS

Approaching the window, in front of which Kate was sitting for a while already, and looking in the distance, Erin saw her sad. Yes, there was undoubtedly sadness seen in the glance of the woman next to her. Yet, even if she suspected what could have been the reason for that weird shine seen in Kate's eyes, Erin didn't dare to ask her loudly about the reason for her heart's bleeding. Why? Because Erin Doyle felt the same at that moment, although she couldn't totally explain why she felt that.

Actually, Erin thought that she had forgotten, and since long ago, what pain meant. She thought she had forgotten that past that had made her sad and solitary in many cases. At the same time, she seemed to have forgotten the betrayal of her former lovers, her betrayal in front of other people and in front of herself, just as she seemed to have forgotten that she had been betrayed so many times before by her business partners, whom she had blindly believed in, but whose hand hadn't shaken when they stabbed her back. Just as she seemed to have forgotten that friends betrayed her before, whom she had found out that had two faces, and that many had been with her because she belonged to a wealthy family, considering her the best solution to get rid of their problems if counting on her.

It only seemed to be like that but it wasn't because Erin hadn't ever forgotten anything. She only thought so. Yet, she remembered each word, each painful touch in her soul or on her skin, just as she remembered people's faces - of those who had made her suffer in the past and whom she hated. Or maybe not? Erin wasn't that sure, just as she wasn't sure of anything lately. All she knew was that her heart was madly yelling at her, „Fall in love, Erin! Be happy too, Erin Doyle, even if not in the arms of the one that might have stolen your heart."

When she remembered this wish, Erin smiled. She slowly bent her head and closed her eyes for a few seconds. Then, looking at the red liquid from her glass, she compared it to her bleeding heart, one that still wanted so badly to love. „Stubbornly, by the way," Erin thought. „Just as her heart seemed to be hungry for feelings. Yet, both stubborn and hurt, our hearts prefer only to beat, waiting for something. Or maybe for someone? Honestly, I have no idea, just as I have no idea if I can love someone else anymore."

Suddenly catching Kate's glance focused on her, Erin turned and looked at her for a while, after she winced at first. Then, she forced a smile and gave Kate the glass of wine, which she brought there for her, thinking that maybe Kate would have also liked to sip from that sweet-bitter liquid while staying in front of the window and watching the lit street lamps, with the night dancing around them. Outside, the cold wind started to blow too, making the branches of the tall tree, which was growing right in front of the window, move both slowly and fast, as though fighting with its inner demons. The tree was simply imitating the two women who also seemed to fight with their inner demons, women the tree looked at for a long time, silently, as though the three of them were so afraid of cutting the thread of magic that bonded them. Yes, they were afraid to move away from each other, especially Kate and Erin, who even if they weren't either friends or enemies, still didn't want that.

They'd been rivals though. For seconds only, but they'd been rivals. Yet, it had been enough for them to compare each other, and find defects and virtues in the other one because the woman's heart is just like that - if it sees a rival in front of her, it reads her backwards and forwards just to make sure it won't give up in front of the other one or let the other one know that it feels worse than its rival. The woman's heart does this in just seconds. Yet, this is enough for them to understand if there is a danger for them or if they should fight. Then, when they understand what the deal with the rival is, they straighten their backs, and proudly look in front, like those ancient queens who hadn't ever been afraid of anything... Queens that are capable of standing up and making things work because a woman's heart is capable of miracles and making things possible.