CHAPTER 29: A TRAMPLED HEART

The party hall was crowded that evening. Silhouettes of women wearing elegant dresses, of different colors, and men wearing suits were seen everywhere, making that romantic atmosphere feel more intense that night. Somewhere in a corner, a young woman wearing a white evening gown was delicately touching the piano keys, perfectly and rhythmically following the notes of the jazz music that was played by a street group that had been invited there that night by the organizers of the annual event of Westport. A piece of music so beautifully played by them but so few listened by the other guests, who were more focused on their talks with important people, who they hadn't seen for a long time or with those they had just met there, important people with whom they intended to have a relationship for a very long time.

A lot of couples were seen that evening at the dinner party. Couples that seemed to be happy and this was clearly seen in the large smiles sketched on their faces. It was also seen at the gentlemen's hands, which were so delicately touching the back of their partners, who looked gorgeous in their long evening dresses that perfectly outlined their appetizing silhouettes. Thus, touching the backs of their partners, the gentlemen let other men know that they had been forbidden to conquer those women's hearts. At the same time, the ladies'hands were shyly sneaking beside the men's arms, looking not only for support and comfort but also to be seen by other women that they were accompanied by a worthy man and that they were happy.

Looking at all this, from the threshold of the door, because he'd just entered the dinner hall, Alex smiled. „Such a weird atmosphere is felt here. Yes, it undoubtedly feels strange, even if this evening has nothing special." Then, somehow shyly because he didn't feel comfortable being at such parties, Alex made a sign to one of the waiters, who approached him eventually. And, taking one champagne glass in his hand, Alex forced a smile, letting the other one know that he was grateful for the service.

All these weren't new or unusual to Doyle. Yet, they weren't something specific to him or something he liked or parties he was often frequenting. No, undoubtedly all this wasn't something he liked because he didn't feel comfortable in crowded places, surrounded by people or asked questions when all he wanted was to be alone in some corner and, with a glass of wine or champagne in his hand, to look on the sly at others'love and happiness.

Yet, he was forced to act differently that night because Erin asked him to be there on her behalf. Erin asked him this that morning when she summoned him to the hospital and she told him that he must be at that dinner party on her behalf while she had to be with Mark. She did that even if it was a known thing that Flynn wasn't a patient who needed someone with him 24/7. No, it wasn't anything like that. Even so, Erin preferred to be with him and told her brother that it wasn't the perfect time for her to have some fun while her heart was still bleeding after all that happened to Mark, who still suffered. And, knowing all this, Erin preferred to send Alex to that party in her place.

„Do I have to be there no matter what?" Alex asked her, frowning, seeing that avoiding going to that party wasn't something he could do.

„Of course, you have to be there," Erin rushed to answer, sipping from her coffee because after Alex showed up at the hospital, both siblings went to have breakfast. It's when she told him about the dinner party. „You know very well how important such events are for our company."

„Of course, I know. Yet, you are usually going to such events. Plus, you know that I hate crowded places and such „sweet" evenings when you have to smile at everybody and show them that you have a great time when it's nothing like that."

Erin smiled. „Yet, I'm sure that this night will be special."

„The reason?"

„Just... a hunch," she replied in a cunning voice. „I will rather call it a pleasant thought that I have, one that I'm sure will delight you too."