1-10

Chapter 1 1
"What's the point of educating girls? Aren't they studying for others?" Uncle Jiang squatted on the ridge of the field, looking at his father who was cutting rice in the field and took a puff of cigarette: "Ningning is already fifteen years old. She can get married in a few years. Look at the family who loves the country and the party. Their daughter went out to work early and can earn a lot of money a year. They have built a house. Look at your family..."

He pointed to the only low, gray tiled house among the white buildings at the entrance of the village not far behind him and said, "Your house is the shortest in this area."

What I mean is, you see there are buildings all around you, but your house is still an old gray house.

The proudest thing in Uncle Jiang's life was that he built two-story houses for both of his sons by himself. He spoke with full confidence at this moment, and his tone was filled with uncontrollable pride and complacency.

Speaking of this, Jiang's father felt a little ashamed. In rural areas, houses are the foundation and roots.

He sighed and said, "What's the point of just having a house? As long as the three brothers and sisters are successful, I'm happy without a house!"

Jiang's father had two sons and one daughter, the youngest of whom was Jiang Ning.

Jiang Ningtou was still a little dizzy, looking at the familiar scene in front of him vaguely, thinking that he was dreaming and dreaming about his childhood.

Perhaps the childhood memories were too profound. Even though her family later built a three-story building, every time she dreamed, the home in her dreams was still that low, gray old house.

The big house that she built herself had one floor for her eldest brother's family, one floor for her second brother's family, and one floor for her parents' family. The day after her wedding, her own small room was occupied by her sister-in-law and her nephews and nieces, who couldn't even wait for her to return home in three days.

She once saw a sentence on the Internet that said a woman has no home after she gets married.

She originally disagreed with that statement, but when she saw her sister-in-law and nephews and nieces lying on her bed on the day she returned home, she suddenly understood that statement.

"What's the point of you being happy? The girl has to be happy. Jiang Song is already nineteen. He didn't pass the exam this year, but he will have to get married in two years. Jiang Bai is also seventeen. He will have to get married in two years. When the girl sees such a house, who would be willing to marry them?" Uncle Jiang said realistically: "Let Ning Ning go to work and earn for a few years. Even if she earns one thousand a year, it will be more than five thousand in five years. You and your wife can earn a little more and build the house by then. Jiang Song needs a house whether he repeats his studies or works. When Jiang Bai graduates from university, you can get married. Now there are three of us studying, and only two of you are making money. I tell you, don't delay Jiang Song and Jiang Bai by then!"

Father Jiang thought about letting his son repeat a year, was silent for a while, and waved his hand: "Don't say it, it's definitely not okay to let Ningning drop out of school. At worst, I'll just be a little tired and find something else to do."

Uncle Jiang sneered.

Jiang Ma, who had been concentrating on cutting rice without saying a word, suddenly stood up and asked Jiang Ning, who had woken up and was lying in the shade of a tree, "Ningning, what do you think?"

Jiang Ning had just woken up and was still a little confused. Hearing this, he instinctively retorted, "I don't want to work, I want to study."

Jiang Ning would never have said such words in the past. She was used to being obedient and never knew how to fight for it. Even though she was unwilling to drop out of school, after being beaten and scolded by her mother with both soft and hard methods, and then begged her a few times with soft words, she could no longer say anything in rebuttal.