Part 5 - On patrol

Meanwhile, Tim, along with Harper, Lopez and the rest of metro were stationed on a rooftop nearby, surveilling a suspect in a hostage situation. There was a warehouse on the opposite side of the road where the hostages supposedly were. While scanning the area with the binoculars, Tim concluded that it was clear for them to move in and release the hostages.

"Let's move in" Said Tim, and they approached the warehouse. Tim and two other metro officers breached the back entrance of the warehouse, while Angela and Harper took the upstairs entrance. Other officers from metro took the other remaining entry points, until they were all inside the building and had eyes on the suspects. They waited until the suspects let their guard down and moved slightly further away from the hostages, then moved in with full force. "POLICE! DROP YOUR WEAPONS, HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD, INTERLACE YOUR FINGERS." However, these criminals weren't going down without a fight. One of the men with a long gun started shooting straight at Tim, and he had to dart behind a wall to avoid landing a GSW. A shootout ensued, with Lopez firing her weapon at that same suspect, which caused two of the others to engage their guns and started shooting back at her and Harper. While this was happening, some of the other metro officers managed to free the hostages quietly and escort them off the premises while the suspects were occupied with the shootout, so the main objective of this mission was complete. But now, they needed to get out of there alive and with their suspects in handcuffs, which was not going to be a simple task. Tim decided to throw a small smoke bomb into the area where the suspects were standing, which temporarily disorientated them and meant they couldn't see or hear as they were surrounded by smoke. They also dropped their weapons, apart from one suspect, who was still clutching his handgun. The metro officers and Tim stormed their way into the smoke and took the suspects into custody. The armed man spun around and bashed Tim's face with his gun, knocking him backwards onto the floor. This was now a fight. He pulled himself up, bleeding profusely from his forehead and temple, and ducked another hit coming from the suspect. Tim quickly pulled out his taser and sent the man quivering to the ground. He grabbed the cuffs and put them on the man, then marched him back to the Shop which was waiting around the corner. Tim pulled out his radio and announced, "3 suspects in custody, code 4" breathlessly, as he was still slightly winded from the fall. Harper instructed that he go to the hospital to get cleaned up and he reassured her he would go once the criminals had been processed. He only had artificial wounds to his forehead but figured he might need a stitch or two anyway.

Lucy's POV

Aaron kept glancing over at Lucy driving the shop, trying to work out what to say to her that didn't include Tim or the detective's exam. Truthfully, most of his conversations with Lucy entailed gossip about either his or her love life, or any drama that was going on in the station, meaning he was stumped. For once, there wasn't really any drama with the other officers at Mid-Wilshire. Him and Celina had gotten over their weirdness after Nolan and Bailey's wedding and had gone back to being totally platonic friends with no issues, and Smitty was his usual annoying, lazy self. All was well and there was nothing out of the ordinary to say. He really wanted to ask her how she was doing breakup wise, but he didn't want to upset her while she was on duty, so he refrained.

"Aaron, are you going to keep looking over at me like you want to say something, or are you just going to say it?"

Shit, she read his mind. "I- Uh, just wondered how living with Celina was going?" That was all he managed to scramble together at the last minute.

"It's good, aren't you two friends again though? You must've already heard from her that we're getting on really well." Lucy replied.

"Well, yeah I have, but just wanted to check in with you anyway..." Aaron explained, unconvincingly.

"Right, okay, moving on..." Lucy said, and just in time, they got a radio from dispatch sending them to a location where they had received a call about some shoplifters, and they were the closest unit. Lucy rolled her eyes, as this was not the type of job she had in mind, she wanted to make a really high profile arrest today, so the other officers at the station would remember how good of a cop she was, after flunking her detective's exam. Despite this, she knew they had to respond, so she gave Aaron a nod and he spoke into the radio "show us responding", then they made their way to the scene, with lights and sirens blaring. It turned out to be two 15 year old girls stealing some snacks and energy drinks from a nearby convenience store, and they had gotten into a fiery argument with the store owner, insisting they weren't stealing. Upon Aaron cuffing one of them and lifting her arms up, a load of items fell out onto the ground, proving the store owner correct. They secured the second girl and took them back to the station for processing. They would only receive a misdemeanour for this, however it was still a police officer's duty to deal with such situations, however frivolous they seemed.