Hidden jealousy

The next morning, Yin was early at the police station. He felt a little clearer, as if the conversation with Mei had helped him dispel the fog in his head. But when he walked past War's cell, he immediately felt this presence again. It was as if War could even see through the walls that Yin had come. The thought was disturbing - and yet fascinating.

Yin forced himself to continue until he finally entered the interrogation room, where War was already waiting. As always, he sat there, completely relaxed, his hands loosely placed on the table, as if he had every second in the world. But today was something different. It was barely noticeable, but Yin's sharp gaze escaped nothing: War seemed distant, as if an invisible wall had grown between them.

"You look tired, Officer," War said, his voice calm as always, but there was something - something that Yin couldn't immediately interpret.

"It was a long night," Yin replied briefly and sat down opposite him. He wanted to direct the conversation immediately to the case, but War's eyes looked at him intensely, as if he was looking for something that went beyond words.

"Long night, huh?" War raised an eyebrow, and for a moment a smile crept to his lips, but it did not reach his eyes. "Interesting. Were you alone, Yin?"

Yin blinked in surprise. It was a strange question that didn't fit into the conversation, but something about War's tone caused an unexpected tension in the room. War looked at him piercingly, and Yin felt his skin warm under that gaze - something he didn't understand.

"What does that mean?" Yin asked sharply. "That's not your problem."

"Oh, I know," War replied quietly, and his gaze became sharper, almost more compelling. "But I can imagine that you were not alone. Officer Mei maybe? You've been partners for a long time, haven't you? Trust each other... on a very personal level."

How could War know that? No one but him and Mei had been around. And yet War spoke with a sinister certainty, as if he had observed every movement, every conversation between them. Yin felt exposed, as if War was penetrating deeper into his thoughts than anyone had ever done.

"You don't know," Yin replied cooly, but he couldn't stop his voice from shaking a little. "This is irrelevant. Focus on your situation."

"Ah, my situation..." War leaned back, his eyes still firmly fixed on Yin. "This is much more interesting than you think. You don't see it, do you? All the masks you wear – put on so carefully to protect yourself. And then someone like me comes around and sees you more clearly than you do."

Yin felt the tension grow in his body. He didn't want War to see him like that. It was uncomfortable, almost painful, and yet he couldn't take his eyes off him. "You don't know me," Yin said, but the words sounded hollow, even in his own ears.

War laughing softly, but this time he lacked the usual amused smile. Instead, there was something darker, something that Yin could not classify. "I know you better than you think, Yin. You and Mei... it was inevitable, wasn't it? Two people who know each other so well. So familiar. So... intimate."

Yin wanted to protest, wanted to say something to stop War's invasion of his privacy, but the words got stuck in his throat. And then he noticed it - a tiny moment when Wars' eyes narrowed, and his gaze seemed to get colder. It was only a fraction of a second, but at that moment Yin realized something he didn't expect.

War was kind of jealous.

The realization hit him like a blow to the pit of the stomach. It didn't make sense - why would War, a suspect, a man he barely knew, be jealous of Mei? But there it was. This subtle change in War's expression that could not be explained except by this feeling.

"It's none of your business," Yin said softly, almost as if he had said it more to himself. "You know nothing about me or Mei."

"Maybe I know more than you think," War replied quietly. He leaned forward slightly, his voice softening, almost gentle, and yet there was a breath of cold that gave Yin goosebumps. "Maybe I see things you don't want to see. Or feel."

Yin felt his heart beat faster. "What are you trying to say?"

War held Yin's gaze, his eyes looking for something in him, something deeper, and for a moment Yin felt like War was looking directly into his soul. "I wonder, Yin," War began slowly, "if you really know what you feel. For them. Or for others."

Yin couldn't break eye contact, even if he wanted to. War's words pierced his mind, confusing him, and for the first time he felt that something was stirred in him—something he had long suppressed, something he would not allow.

He didn't know why War's words had so much impact. Perhaps because the words were said so calmly, as if they were an unrefutable truth. Or maybe because he felt that there was more - not only between him and Mei, but also between him and War. A tension that he could not name, that he did not want to name.

"You're good at manipulating people," Yin finally said, his voice firmer than he felt inside. "But that doesn't work for me."

War's smiling weakly, but it again did not reach his eyes. "Do you really believe that, huh?" He slowly stood up, the handcuffs on his wrists rattling softly. "You're not the only one here who has something to lose, Yin. Maybe you should consider that before you get further entangled in this matter."

"What does that mean?" Yin felt the words draw the ground from under his feet again. "What are you talking about?"

War looked at him deeply again, then he shook his head barely noticeably. "Maybe you should ask yourself what you really want before it's too late."

Yin sat there, staring at the door that closed behind War, and his heart raced. It was as if War had held up a mirror in front of him, in which he had not wanted to look. The jealousy, the unspoken feelings - and the fact that he refused to recognize what was in him when War was near him.

Yin knew he was being drawn into a dangerous game. And he had no idea how to get out again – or if he even wanted to.