Chapter 5

VEDA'S POV

“I wonder how you are still alive after pulling that stunt”
Said Riya who was in utter disbelief , after i told her about my first encounter with Yug Basu .
Her index and thumb finger holding the weight of her small forehead  and looking at me from top to bottom as if I am a wall art done by a 5 year old kid.

“ wondering the same” I mumbled a reply to Riya , to which she  raised an eyebrow implying she hadn't heard me well.

I sigh as I take a seat beside her on the wooden bench with a lost look .
We all were mentally and physically drained from the long hours of work and finally everything was over just after the sunset , through the whole time that man Yug Basu was here , inspecting every little detail of the preparation , i am still thinking that why he didn’t said anything to me or he have short term memory loss , although i made sure to not interact with him at all cost .

“ Hey Riya, you will talk to our boss about me , right ? . i can’t lose this  job at all cost “
I begged her , because only I know what i have to go through if i lose this job.

“ ah ! don’t worry , i dont think he is that mad , if he wanted ,you would have been fired right on spot plus he will never know what happened with you and Mr. Basu”

“ And what if Yug Basu tells him everything”
I made a crying face while hitting my own forehead with my palm

“Ohh Veda , don't annoy me I am really tired  , you too go home it’s getting late and yes don’t worry nothing will happen “

“ Hope so .”

The late September nights of Darjeeling are always cold and moist especially during this season where you can barely see the road ahead of you because of the fog , even though the street lamps play their role really well , it gets hard to ride a bike because of the moist road but I love this …
This feeling of loneliness , it's  just me on my bike , the beautiful night sky and the never ending fog

It took a good twenty minutes for me to reach home….. or you can say place of residence because it was anything but home.
While parking my bike I saw a beautiful white Range Rover parked in our parking area , which i guessed to be one of my father’s friend , I made my way to the entrance while covering the big tea stain on my shirt  with Mr Basu’s coat since i don’t want to get scolded just when I enter after working my ass out .

As i enter i can here feminine laugh which blended with my mothers sweet giggle , i didn't realise when a smile appeared on my face , I didn't even remember the last time i saw my mother laughing in front of me , my feets took me to the living room mechanically , where i saw my mother laughing her out with some new face which i never saw , at that moment i could not thinking it was just Maa laughing heartily looking so beautiful that i couldn't take my eyes off but soon her eyes fell on me and her laugh died down making my huge smile fell as well .

“Look there she is …Veda”

She pointed her hand towards me , introducing me to the guests which I finally looked at with an awkward smile and walked to them.

“Veda….Meet Tripti , my senior in college and a really good friend of mine , these young women are her daughters Aditi and Samara “
She pointed at a lady in her late 40’s , wearing a blush pink kota saree with little white flowers imprinted on it while her hair were in bun with a few strands hiding her bright skin , giving her a soft yet classy look while she had a gentle smile on her lips adding to her beautiful face .
I greeted them with a smile .

“ Come here Veda sit near me “

Tripti aunty patted the empty space beside her as I sat there , she softly took my cold hands in her warm motherly hands , she looked at my mother with her eyes shining with amusement and love.