Chapter 6: The Heart of the Hive

The air grew oddly warm as the group pressed onward, the temperature shift causing them to exchange uneasy glances. Necroclaw and Vesper could feel their necromancer magic flaring, a sensation like static buzzing in their minds. The whispers of the spirits were drowned out, reduced to nothing more than chaotic waves, leaving them on edge.

As they approached a large door, their unease only heightened. The door appeared grotesque, crafted from a blend of Xenomorph exoskeleton, human bones, and a strange fleshy material. Gruesome remnants—hearts and eyes—were embedded within the grotesque design.

The group shared a final glance, an unspoken agreement hanging in the air, and then they pushed the door open slightly. What lay beyond was something they had never encountered before. The cave-like system opened up into a hive, its walls glistening with crimson red and sleek black flesh, pulsating as if alive.

Tux took a hesitant step forward, his instincts on high alert. Suddenly, a small fox darted past, only to be swiftly followed by a grotesque creature that matched the Xenomorph’s exoskeleton design. The upgraded Feroxmalis lunged at the fox, tackling it to the ground. Fleshy veins burst forth from the creature’s shoulder, stabbing into the small animal’s chest and limbs. The echo of the fox's piercing yelp reverberated through the hive, and everyone instinctively turned away, their hearts heavy with dread.

The Feroxmalis disappeared into a hole in the ceiling, leaving behind the lifeless fox. The group exchanged a grim look, acknowledging the horror they had just witnessed. Weapons readied, they moved deeper into the hive, stepping cautiously onto the slick, fleshy floor, which squelched beneath their feet.

As they walked, Soap and Ghost stayed alert, keeping watch from the rear. Time seemed to stretch as they navigated the twisting corridors, each footstep echoing in the unnatural silence. After what felt like hours of walking, they stumbled upon a small artifact resting on a pedestal. It was a sphere, shimmering with an otherworldly light.

Skyler instinctively reached out to grab it, but before he could make contact, an upgraded Feroxmalis dropped down from above. Its body hunched low, and it rose slowly, showcasing its menacing height. The creature's tail coiled in preparation to strike, its sharp claws flexing as it tilted its head, a twisted grin forming on its muzzle as it emitted a low, threatening hiss.

“Get ready!” Rogue Wolf shouted, his weapon aimed at the beast.

Skyler barely managed to leap out of the way as the creature lunged forward. He drew his cosmic katana, the blade shimmering with energy. Rogue Wolf targeted the creature's body, firing round after round, but the bullets ricocheted off the black, plated skin, leaving no mark. Realizing the armor's weaknesses, he shifted aim, targeting the small gaps in the creature's flesh.

Just as the upgraded Feroxmalis turned its attention to him, he squeezed the trigger. The bullet found its mark, slipping through the gap and striking the creature’s heart. It screeched, but the sound was cut short when Fernando struck with his flaming katana, slicing through the creature’s midsection in a single, fluid motion.

As the group began to regroup, three more upgraded Feroxmalis emerged from the vents above. Their eyes glinted with hunger, and the group quickly formed a protective circle, ready to defend against the onslaught. Skyler and Fernando steadied their katanas, while Rogue Wolf, Ghost, and Soap readied their firearms. Tux, Vesper, Necroclaw, Jack, and the Host also prepared for battle, adrenaline coursing through their veins.

The three creatures lunged simultaneously, and chaos erupted in the dimly lit hive. Bullets flew, and blades sliced through the air as they fought back. The roar of the Feroxmalis and the sounds of clashing steel filled the space. For five intense minutes, the group fought as one, working together to take down the creatures that threatened them.

With a final flurry of strikes and shots, the last of the upgraded Feroxmalis fell, its body collapsing onto the fleshy ground. Breathing heavily, the group took a moment to catch their breath, adrenaline still surging through their veins.

“Let’s not linger,” Skyler said, gripping the artifact tightly. He knew they needed to leave the nest-like cave before more of these creatures emerged. With a determined nod, he led the way back toward the entrance, the others falling in behind him.

As they retraced their steps, the atmosphere shifted, the warmth of the hive feeling increasingly oppressive. They had narrowly escaped this time, but they knew that lurking in the shadows were far greater dangers waiting to strike.

Outside the cave, the jungle welcomed them back with its humid air and distant animal sounds. They had survived, but they were not yet out of danger. As they regrouped, Skyler couldn’t shake the feeling that the worst was still ahead of them.
———————————————————

Credit to hyenasquad/Watership for allowing me to use his character "Feroxmalis" ^^