Chapter 8: The Toll of Restlessness

The night sky was a blanket of darkness, pierced only by the occasional glint of distant stars and the faint glow of the city’s fires far off in the distance. The group had found temporary shelter in the shattered remains of the ruined building, far from the creatures that still prowled the rooftops across from them. Despite the relative safety, the eerie atmosphere kept most of them on edge. Outside, the faint, hissing sounds of the Xenomorphs, Upgraded Feroxmalis, and Bone Splitters echoed in the night air, still attempting futile jumps to reach them. Each one fell short, plummeting to the ground below.

It was too risky to move during the night, especially with the added danger of Volatiles and other creatures that had emerged from the meteor—terrifying beasts capable of taking down entire tanks in seconds. These beings, although resembling zombies, were something much more deadly, created by a sentient ink that transformed animals into mindless drones, soulless monsters driven by an unknown force.

The group knew they were outnumbered and outmatched. But for now, they had a moment to rest.

Tux, Necroclaw, and Vesper sat together, while the rest of the group tried to sleep or at least stay still. Skyler was nearby, his cosmic katana resting across his knees as he quietly kept watch, though his gaze often drifted to the artifact they had taken from the nest. It sat between Tux, Necroclaw, and Vesper—a sphere that seemed to pulse softly, emanating a strange energy none of them could yet understand.

As they studied the artifact, trying to make sense of it, the continuous hissing from the creatures across the building kept them all alert, a reminder of the danger they were still in. Some of the creatures had made attempts to leap toward them, but without enough momentum, they had merely tumbled to their deaths below. Still, the tension was palpable.

Tux let out a soft yawn, his usually sharp eyes heavy with exhaustion. He leaned gently against Necroclaw’s shoulder, his tiredness finally catching up to him. Necroclaw blushed slightly beneath his fur, feeling the unexpected warmth of Tux leaning on him.

For as long as the others had known him, Tux had always been a figure of tireless energy, rarely stopping for rest. He was constantly inventing, creating powerful weapons, high-tech suits, and armor. His mind seemed to never rest, always traveling between universes, selling his inventions, and perfecting his craft. He didn’t need goggles or special equipment to work in the dark; his eyes alone were his tools, having trained himself to create in complete darkness, never allowing failure to be an option.

But now, after all the endless days and nights of pushing himself, the toll of his sleeplessness was finally starting to show. Not even his best friend, Zenith, had been able to convince him to slow down. And now, as they sat in the cold dark of the ruined building, Tux’s defenses were slipping.

Necroclaw shifted uncomfortably, feeling the warmth of Tux’s head on his shoulder. He glanced at Vesper, who gave him a knowing look, and then back at Tux. Clearing his throat softly, Necroclaw finally broke the silence.

"Tux," he said gently, his voice low, trying not to disturb the others. "You should get some rest. You’ve done enough."

Tux’s eyes blinked slowly, his usual sharpness dulled by exhaustion. "I can’t… I don’t need it. There's always something to fix, something to make better," he mumbled, his voice barely above a whisper. But even as he spoke, his eyes began to flutter shut.

"You’re going to burn out," Necroclaw insisted, trying to keep his tone soft but firm. "You’ve been going nonstop for as long as we’ve known you. We’ll need you sharp later, and you can’t be at your best if you’re this tired."

For a moment, Tux didn’t respond. He seemed to be wrestling with his own stubbornness, his pride at always being the one to stay ahead, to be the one everyone could rely on. But as the minutes ticked by, his body betrayed him. His head lolled forward, and before he could argue further, he was already half asleep against Necroclaw’s shoulder.

Necroclaw sighed quietly, glancing down at the artifact once more, its mysterious energy still thrumming softly. Vesper, seated nearby, gave a small smile.

"He finally let go," Vesper whispered, his eyes glowing faintly in the darkness. "I never thought I’d see the day."

"Neither did I," Necroclaw replied, shaking his head slightly. "But I think we all needed this. Even him."

The night continued in eerie silence, only the distant growls and hisses of creatures reminding them of the peril they were still in. But for now, they had a moment of peace.

Necroclaw closed his eyes for a brief second, leaning back slightly as Tux's soft breathing became steady beside him. Vesper kept watch with him, the night dragging on slowly as they waited for morning to come and for their next move to reveal itself. Whatever lay ahead, they would need all their strength to survive. And for now, letting Tux rest was the first step in preparing for the battles to come.
———————————————————

Yay! Another done! ^^
They faced Xenomorphs, Upgraded Feroxmalis warriors, and Bone Splitters (made up creature's) what others will they encounter next? You'll have to keep reading to find out ^^