018. Initiative

"His Majesty, King Toji Zen'in and Her Highness, Queen Nozomi Zen'in, are pleased to extend their most distinguished invitation to the Grand Royal Anniversary Ball in commemoration of the 500th anniversary of the founding of the Zen'in Kingdom.

On a splendors night beneath the stars, nobles, courtiers, and dignitaries from all lands are invited to join this majestic celebration taking place at the Zen'in Castle, where music, dance, and magic will illuminate the evening on the tenth day of the fifth month, year 700.

With the highest respect and gratitude,

King Toji Zen'in

Queen Nozomi Zen'in

May your path be guided by justice and honor."

"A ball?!" You announced excitedly as you skipped in place.

It's been years since you attended one. You missed them, but not for the dancing itself. You enjoyed listening to live musicians, especially pianists. The last time you went to one with your mother and sisters, it didn't go so well. Your mother scolded you on the way home for not dancing with anyone even though you had spent the last two weeks practicing choreography. You were never very good at talking to men like Yorozu was, but now you can enjoy one without the pressure of courting a rich man who will save you from misery.

"Every year it's the same," Uraume commented with annoyance, announcing their presence on the parade ground. "Welcome, Commander Mahito," they bowed respectfully to your savior.

"What's up?" He greeted them back with a red eye from tearing up so much.

"The king was invited to a ball! Sounds like fun!" You told Uraume showing them the invitation.

"If I were you, I wouldn't be so excited," Uraume replied, taking the invitation to put it back in its respective envelope. "The king has rejected every invitation he has received from the Zen'in in the last 5 years."

Sukuna Ryomen, being a king who believes himself superior to everyone, never bothered to attend the royal events he was invited to. He would hate to waste his time on unimportant events like everyone else. He would rather starve to death than attend a stupid ball. Uraume has seen the king destroy letters from the sorcerer kingdoms just by knowing their content for centuries. They knew the king better than anyone else.

"It's probably because the king doesn't know how much fun they are," you argued.

"It seems like you're the one who wants to go," Uraume said.

"Obviously, I want to go. Besides, going out would be great," you explained with obviousness. "Wearing a pretty dress, dancing all night, watching and listening to the orchestra..." You explained, delighted at the idea of ​​living the experience again.

"Good luck, the king would never agree," Uraume declared confidently.

Over the years, as the king's right hand, Uraume has been the one in charge of receiving the packages, especially when it comes from enemy kingdoms. They are the first in line to defend the honor of the great kingdom of Sukuna, and it is always the same. A strong sorcerer arrives to kill as many curses as possible, they fight against them so they don't enter the castle, they surrender so they don't waste any more time on a one-man mission, and they leave the letter to complete the mission. Uraume has had to go through that tedious process hundreds of times only for the king to destroy letters almost immediately.

"I would at least like to try to convince him," you commented determinedly.

"Oh, someone is sure," Mahito teased, wrapping his arm around your shoulders in a friendly way.