019. Take Control

The king wasn't going to show up for breakfast again. You sighed, crossing your arms in disappointment. You had been eating alone in the dining room for a week now. Well, you weren't completely alone. Mrs. Inoue was always by your side since she became your lady-in-waiting, but it wasn't the same. A week ago, you saw the king from time to time, but now, it was like he disappeared in thin air. Despite having a whole castle, he lived in the office. Something wasn't right.

Wasuke handed you breakfast like every morning. A small fruit salad with honey. It looked delicious, but you weren't in the mood to eat. Uraume was there to make sure the breakfast was up to your standards. It was already a ritual of mere presence because they knew you were fascinated by anything they cooked for you.

"The king isn't coming, is he?" You asked the king's right-hand.

"No, he asked me to bring breakfast to the office," they answered.

"Do you know why he locked himself in the office?" You asked reluctantly.

"After Naoya's invasion, the king has been replacing the curses we lost in battle," Uraume answered the only thing they knew.

Uraume was losing its touch. It's one thing that they didn't know you, but it's quite another that they didn't know the king anymore. After the bet, their ego had dropped considerably. They didn't know what to believe anymore. This new attitude of the king of locking himself in his office to work was new. Uraume had tried to ask him about it, but Sukuna kept shutting them up because it wasn't their business. The king was a strange curse. No, everyone was acting strange.

"Nonsense," you muttered, getting up from your seat annoyed. "I'm not hungry. The servants can share my breakfast." You left the room. Uraume returned to the kitchen, they were fed up with all this. Mrs. Inoue followed you loyally as several servants came to pick at your breakfast.

The change from maid to lady-in-waiting had been a pleasant one. She had left her housework to chat with the young lady all day, she ate in the same room as Kenjaku and Commander Mahito, and she had her own room with a large bed and a private bathroom. She had a much more comfortable life thanks to her best friend in the castle. However, it made her sad to see you so distressed because the king had not yet proposed to you. Unfortunately, she could do nothing to fix that situation.

"I will go talk to Master Kenjaku, why don't you go relax in the game room while I talk to him?" You asked the lady once they left the dining room.

"As you command, lady." She bowed to you before you retreated down the hall.

She also did not understand why King Sukuna had not proposed to you. You had accomplished everything he had asked of you and exceeded any royal expectations. What else did you need to do to get the king to ask for your hand? I had no idea. It was just a matter of waiting for a positive outcome.

You knocked on the door to Kenjaku's room, which was on the guest room floor. In fact, it was the room you were cleaning when King Sukuna gave you your first direct order. That emotional day when you felt his strong arms embrace your body for the first time. Why were you remembering that now? Kenjaku was quick to open the door for you.

"Good morning," her teacher greeted you.

"The king is avoiding me," you declared. Kenjaku hit your head with the side of his hand. "Ouch!"

"You need to stop being so rude. Greet me as it is reciprocated," Kenjaku scolded you.

"Good morning, master," you greeted him submissively with a bow.

"Much better." Kenjaku returned to his usual smiling self. "Now tell me, why do you think the king is avoiding you?"

"It's obvious!" You exclaimed in frustration. "He doesn't eat breakfast with me anymore, he doesn't watch my training sessions, and he lets everyone but me into his office. Every time I want to go in he tells me, 'No, go study,'" you quoted him, imitating his signature authoritarian voice.