Chapter 6: Many More Portals

Let's do this!-

Dust POV

Like the last time, the fog was dense. That familiar eerie scent covered the air. I hate this place even more than last time. I kept walking forward, nonetheless, hoping I wouldn't begin hallucinating at some random moment. The humming of magic was audible when I got deeper onto the path.

Then the worst part came-the shallow collected muddy water. The pond nearby seemed to have flooded when it rained last. This is what probably got the floor swampy and disgusting. The leaf blades stuck out from the water while the soil wasn't visible.

I scrunched up my face. My slippers were not made for this kind of path, and if I ruined them, I probably wouldn't get another pair without getting a good scolding from Nightmare. So, I took them off. I held them in my hands and began walking barefoot. It was surprisingly much more bearable now that my slippers weren't squishing the mud below.

"Bloody hell..."

The faint hum of the swirly magic wasn't faint anymore. It beamed louder. And louder. There were those portals, finally.

A myriad of portals, some up in the air and on the tree trunks, and a few were stuck to the ground. They glow with magic, white as milk. Their boundaries were demarcated by faint rings depending on where the portal came from or led to. We had put sign boards all around,

"Do not enter any of the portals, not obliging to the warnings will result in a painful doom of the trespasser."

Was what the biggest one read, right in the middle, between the portals that led to Killer and my home AU. If you could even call them 'home' anymore.

I froze in front of the second one. Dusttale. Where not a single soul was spared. It was always so dauntingly desolate that I began finding it hard even to breathe in there. I don't know what caused me to, but I took a deep breath and went through the purple-rimmed portal.

That was exactly what I didn't want the other goobers to do. But would you look at that...

And surprise, surprise! Nothing had changed. Not a single particle. Dreary like expected. And I had even forgotten that that portal led to that forbidden place. The Judgement Hall. The hall shone yellow and golden as always. The stains had turned black where that damned creature had been killed at last. Those blood stains reminded me of something.

Papyrus.

"N-no-" My soul had almost stopped beating. I stumbled back as the hallucinations began. "P-Papyrus... where... bro...?"

"SANS..." He spoke.

"B-bro??" I searched for the source of his voice. He appeared in front of me. Phantom was an imaginary hallucination, but it never felt like just imagination. He talked, he laughed, and he urged me to gain more LV, even though the human was dead and my purpose was over.

"BROTHER... DID YOU FIND ANYONE TO KILL TODAY... SANS?"

"Pap, I told you it wasn't required anymore."

"WHAT WILL YOU DO IF THE HUMAN COMES BACK, SANS?"

"They... they won't bro, I promise."

"HOW ARE YOU SO SURE, BROTHER? DO YOU NOT REMEMBER THE RESE-"

"I don't WANT to remember those damn resets, Papyrus! Go away!"

"BROTHER, ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO SHOO ME OFF LIKE THAT...?"

"I...No..."

"MM. YOU NEED TO GAIN MORE LV, BROTHER! I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, WILL HELP YOU! DO YOU REMEMBER THAT HUMAN YOU SENT AWAY WITH THE OTHER YOU...?"