Midnight Roast by: G0thicTemplE

Midnight Roast
Written by: G0thicTemplE

A shaky breath escaped his lips, fogging up in the chilly evening air.

“Shhhh…. Shhh…. Calm down…” she muttered.

His knees threatened to buckle under him with every gust of wind brushing against him.

His vision blurred with every inhale he took, heart hammering so hard he feared it would break free from his chest.

He needed to calm down… He needed to calm down and he needed to do that fast…

With trembling hand, he put the cigarette to his lips, feeling the bitter smoke fill up his throat and lungs. The warmth spreading through his lungs felt like his mother’s touch… A hand on his shoulder while the ghost of her whispered in his ear…

You will be great…

The man took another drag, listening to the whistling of the wind in search of peace. However, the October breeze seemed to have a different plan, filling his head with the tearing sound of a thousand screams, as if the world itself had succumbed to sorrow on that particular evening.

The world around him seemed cold, drenched in the autumn rain and chilled by the galloping draught. Just like it should be on a night like that… When ghouls would be rumoured to roam the streets.

Halloween had arrived in full force, hitting the town like a tsunami.

He could see it all from here… The lights shone like orange fireflies while he watched the partygoers and trick-or-treaters roam the streets, the people no bigger than ants from the balcony.

How many times was he down there? Walking door to door with his daughter?

The man glanced at the imposing building behind him, leaning over him like a monster ready to devour him whole.

The mere thought of why he was there sent his gut clenching painfully, the moment of bliss gone as if it had been stolen by the blowing gale.

Another drag… And another…

The cigarettes weren't helping anymore, the fumes suffocating him instead of feeding into his addiction.

The hammering in his chest returned.

He would have to go there soon… He would have to enter the gullet of the beast in search of his happiness. His big chance…

One in a million shot.

Except… Except every part of his body begged him not to.

You have always been a nervous child… So brittle… So delicate…

His mother would say… and she was right…

He had never felt like this… he would never even expect to succumb to the deepest pits of despair… And yet he was standing here, overshadowed by the colossal mansion behind him.

Tonight was the night he would make his decision…

He would either stay up here or crawl back down there…