Stranger Danger by: CarmenJohnson599

Stranger Danger
Written by: CarmenJohnson599

I flipped on the radio and heard Nadine's crystal clear, seductive voice, relieved to finally be within range.

“I’m just wondering what all my lovely listeners out there plan to do this weekend,” she was saying, “My best friend, Lacy, is coming for a visit and we plan to party it up.  Perhaps you all can catch us at the Grind tomorrow night.  I’m taken, but Lacy is a la carte.”  Great!  It's just like Nadine to spill my life story to the public in the hope of setting me up.  She, of course, is on her flavor of the week, Greg, but as always, is soooooo serious.  She can't stand to be single and she projects on to me.

I told her that I wasn't ready for a relationship.  Thad and I had just broke up and I just needed some time away.  Please, don't make me regret this Nadine!

I drove on anyway, against my better judgement.  I had about an hour to go before I was to meet Greg at the small diner so that he could show me the rest of the way.  Or was it Gary?  Or Dan?  I groaned in frustration.  I’m pretty sure that it's Greg.  Greg sounds like a pretty boy name.  Nadine only dates pretty boys.  Except for that one, that could've been the one for her if she wasn't so focused on looks.  She said that she just wasn't attracted to him.  If only she had just given it a little time.  Nadine has never been known for patience though.

“Don't worry Lacy.  They all think that you're hot.”

What!  She showed my picture!  How many?  I slammed on the brakes and pulled over to the side of the road.  I leaned my head down into my hands and just breathed.

“Lacy, just call in!  I’m getting a lot of request to hear your lovely voice,” she went on.
Now she's just goading me.  She'd better be!  She knows that I would never call in.  Not even if my life depended on it.

Deciding that she was just teasing me, I checked traffic.  That's a laugh.  I haven't seen another car for at least fifteen minutes and that's being generous.  I pulled out onto the road and drove on.

“Well, it's time again for some music.”  Thank God!  “Let's do some Lacy inspired music.”  Oh no!  I waited as she started the music track.  My heart dropped when I heard the opening lyrics of Buckcherry’s ‘Crazy Bitch.’  I turned it down, unable to listen.  I didn't really like the song before, now I really didn't like it.  Leave it to Nadine.  It's probably her favorite.  She might even see this as a compliment.

I drove on with the radio turned down.  I could still hear it.  Just not really loud.  When she came back on a few songs later, thankfully, she was talking about something other than me.  Then, of course, she also had to please the advertisers.

I drove past the ‘Welcome to Pinewood’ sign and drove down the main street until I got to Dale's Diner.  She said that it was the only diner in this small town.  I parked in the almost empty parking lot, grabbed my purse and walked in.  Fortunately, cringe-worthy country music was playing instead of Nadine.  I looked around and spotted who must be Greg right off.  Typical Nadine's type, he had short dark hair, a baby face and muscles that showed through his tight black t-shirt.  I give him two weeks before one of them calls it quits.

He stood up from the table, “Lacy.”  I approached him.  “I’m Greg.  I’m supposed to show you the way to the station,” he held out his hand.  I took his hand with a smile, “Can I see some ID?”  He looked at me funny,