Chapter 19: The Unraveling Truths

The room buzzed with tension. Matteo's dark accusations hung in the air, but Gia's sudden, unbothered entrance added a strange mix of humor to the chaos.

Gia:
"Hoy, excuse me, pero bakit parang mas dramatic pa kayo kesa sa mga napanood ko sa k-drama kagabi? Someone explain, please! This is supposed to be a vacation!" Gia plopped down on the nearest couch, still wearing her bright, pineapple-printed pajamas.

Niklaus, trying to regain his composure, turned to Matteo and Celeste, his voice firm.
"Enough. We've all been dragged through the mud long enough. Matteo, you keep digging up dirt to tear me down. Celeste, you want to hold onto the past. But this ends now. I'm not my father."

Matteo, with his trademark smirk, leaned back against the wall.
"Not your father? You're just a better version of him—manipulating things behind the scenes, pretending to be the hero. At least he didn't pretend to be the knight in shining armor."

Kate's head was spinning. All the accusations were starting to blur together, but she needed clarity.
"Niklaus... just tell me the truth. No more lies, no more half-truths."

Niklaus looked at her, his eyes softening. He stepped closer, taking her hands in his.
"There are things I didn't tell you, but it's not what Matteo's making it out to be. My father was involved in illegal dealings, but I've been trying to undo all of it. I didn't want you caught up in this mess."

Kate pulled her hands away, her heart racing.
"But I am in this mess. How can I trust you when I feel like you've been hiding so much?"

Before Niklaus could answer, Carlo—who had been quiet the whole time—suddenly stood up, looking like he was ready to drop a bombshell.

Carlo:
"Wait. There's something no one here knows. Something that's going to change everything."

The room fell silent, all eyes on him.

Matteo, clearly intrigued, crossed his arms.
"Oh, this should be good. What now, Carlo? Going to confess your undying loyalty to Niklaus?"

Carlo shot him a look but ignored the jab. Instead, he turned to Kate, his expression serious.
"Kate, there's something you need to know. About... your family."

Kate blinked in confusion.
"My family? What do you mean?"

Carlo glanced at Niklaus, then back at Kate.
"I've been doing some digging—mostly to help Niklaus clean up the mess. But what I found was... unexpected. Kate, your father used to work for Niklaus' father."

Gia dramatically gasped from her seat, nearly spilling her juice.
"Wait, wait, wait. Backtrack! Kate's dad was connected to Niklaus' family? Ay, girl, this is next-level!"

Kate felt the blood drain from her face.
"My father? I don't understand..."

Niklaus, looking just as shocked as everyone else, turned to Carlo.
"Carlo, what are you talking about? I thought we'd cleared all the connections."

Carlo shook his head.
"No, Niklaus. Kate's father didn't just work for your father—he was involved in the dirty dealings. He was one of the key people who handled the illegal operations."

Kate stood frozen, her mind racing. She had always thought of her father as a simple man, an honest worker. Could it be true? Could her father have been involved in the very world she wanted no part of?

Matteo, seizing the moment, smirked.
"Oh, this is rich. So, Kate, you're not as innocent as you think. Your family has skeletons, too. Maybe you're just like the rest of us."

Kate, her emotions boiling over, glared at Matteo.
"Don't you dare drag my family into this! This is about you and Niklaus!"

Carlo held up his hands.
"Wait, wait. Before you jump to conclusions, Kate, there's more. Your father didn't just leave because of work. He disappeared because he was framed."