Chapter 15: The Family Secret

Niklaus ran a hand through his hair, clearly struggling to figure out how to explain the situation to Kate without revealing too much. But Matteo had no such hesitation.

"Ano na, Niklaus? Are you going to tell her? O ako na ang magsasabi?" Matteo's voice was dripping with mischief.

Niklaus shot Matteo a warning glare, but it was too late. Matteo took a step forward, locking eyes with Kate.

"Alam mo ba, Kate," Matteo began, his voice low and calculated, "the Fabroa family built their empire on something darker than just aviation and luxury cars. There's a reason Niklaus and I have this... tension."

Niklaus clenched his fists. "Don't do this, Matteo."

Matteo ignored him. "The family secret is simple, really. Our fathers were involved in illegal arms deals. They used the aviation business as a cover for smuggling weapons across countries."

Kate's eyes widened in shock, her mouth slightly open as she tried to process the bombshell. "Illegal arms? Niklaus... is this true?"

Niklaus sighed heavily, his shoulders dropping. "It's... complicated, Kate. Yes, there were things that happened in the past, but it was my father, not me. I've spent my life trying to fix what he did."

Matteo wasn't done. "Oh, but there's more. Niklaus has been cleaning up the family's dirty laundry for years. And now, dear cousin, you've gotten yourself involved with someone who's bound to get hurt." His eyes flickered to Kate.

Gia, who had been quietly munching on a bag of chips she pulled out of nowhere, suddenly spat them out. "Ano daw?! Arms smuggling? Teka lang, parang action film na ito ha! And Niklaus, ano ba 'yan? Hindi mo sinabi sa beshie ko na parte ka ng James Bond-type na drama?!"

Everyone looked at Gia, who somehow managed to make the moment both ridiculous and hilarious. Kate, despite her shock, laughed at her best friend's unfiltered reactions.

But Gia wasn't done. "Pero wait! Hindi ko pa nasasabi ang pinaka-importanteng part ng kwento ko..."

Kate blinked. "May kwento ka pa? Ano yun, Gia?"

Gia dramatically lowered her voice, glancing around like she was sharing a top-secret revelation. "Kate, remember yung crush ko from high school? The one na sobrang gwapo pero never ako pinansin?"

Kate nodded, confused but curious.

Gia grinned. "Well, he's here. In this resort. And he's... Matteo's bodyguard!"

Everyone's jaws dropped as a tall, ruggedly handsome guy walked up to the group. Carlo, the high school heartthrob, had turned into a hulking, intimidating figure—but still ridiculously good-looking. Gia squealed, unable to contain her excitement.

Carlo gave a nod to Matteo, then looked at Gia with a faint smile. "Gia... It's been a long time."

Gia nearly fainted. "OH MY GOD, BESHHHHHHH! Plot twist ng buhay ko 'to! I didn't sign up for this!"