Chapter 11: The Unexpected Visitor

When they reached the lobby, Niklaus' eyes widened in shock. Standing in the middle of the room was a man he hadn't seen in years—Matteo, his estranged cousin. Matteo Fabroa was once part of Niklaus' family business, but after a bitter feud over a major deal that went wrong, he had disappeared from Niklaus' life.

"What the hell are you doing here, Matteo?" Niklaus demanded, the surprise quickly replaced by suspicion.

Matteo turned, his familiar smirk in place, but there was something different in his eyes—something darker. "Long time no see, cousin. Thought I'd drop by and see how the other half lives. I heard you were in the Philippines. Figured we had some catching up to do."

Niklaus crossed his arms, his muscles tense. "You heard wrong. I'm not interested in whatever scheme you're running now."

Matteo laughed softly, but his gaze flickered toward Celeste, who had just entered the lobby, curious about the commotion. "Oh, I'm not here to run a scheme. I'm here to visit... old friends."

Niklaus noticed Matteo's glance at Celeste, and his stomach turned. There was something going on here—something he didn't like.

"Matteo, I know you. Whatever this is, leave Celeste out of it," Niklaus said sharply, stepping in front of her as if to protect her.

Matteo raised his hands in mock surrender. "Relax, Niklaus. I'm just here for some fun. But if you insist on playing the hero... maybe you should take a closer look at what's happening under your nose."

Celeste shifted uncomfortably, glancing between the two men. "Niklaus, this isn't about me."

But Matteo smiled, as if knowing a secret that no one else did. "Isn't it, though?"