Chapter 7: Unwelcome Surprises

The days at the resort passed by quickly, and Niklaus found himself spending more time with Kate. There was something about her that kept drawing him in. They talked about everything and nothing—her life in the province, his complicated world of business, and even the simple things like the best places to find halo-halo or where to buy the freshest mangoes. But just as things were starting to feel comfortable, a surprise guest showed up at the resort, throwing everything into chaos.

It was a sunny afternoon when a sleek black SUV pulled up to the entrance. Niklaus was lounging by the pool when Lukas came running, wide-eyed and breathless.

"Bro, we have a situation. And by situation, I mean a real one," Lukas said, clearly stressed.

Niklaus frowned, sitting up. "What are you talking about?"

"Your ex, Celeste, is here."

Niklaus stared at him, disbelief in his eyes. "What? Here? How?"

Before Lukas could explain, the door to the resort swung open and in walked Celeste Valdez—the glamorous, model-like woman who was once part of Niklaus' life. Dressed in a designer summer outfit, sunglasses perched on her head, and heels that weren't made for the sand, she strode in like she owned the place.

"Niklaus," she said, her voice dripping with confidence. "I've been looking all over for you."

Niklaus stood, his expression unreadable. "Celeste, what are you doing here?"

She smiled sweetly, but her eyes were sharp. "I heard you were in the Philippines. I thought, why not join you? After all, we didn't really get proper closure, did we?"

Lukas gave Niklaus a look that said, Good luck, man.

Kate, who had been watching from a distance, couldn't help but feel her stomach drop. She knew the type—Celeste was exactly the kind of woman who was Niklaus' usual: beautiful, sophisticated, and clearly confident in her place in his life.

Kate turned to leave, not wanting to intrude, but Celeste spotted her. "Oh, and who's this?" she asked, looking Kate up and down. The condescension in her voice was unmistakable.

Niklaus glanced at Kate, then back at Celeste. "Kate, this is Celeste. Celeste, this is Kate Mendoza. She works here."

Kate tried to smile politely, but Celeste's sharp tone didn't go unnoticed. "Works here, huh? Cute," Celeste said, clearly dismissive.

Kate raised an eyebrow but said nothing. Works here? That was all Niklaus could say? She felt a strange disappointment, and maybe a little bit of hurt.

"Nice to meet you," Kate finally replied, forcing a smile. But inside, something stirred—an unfamiliar pang she wasn't sure she liked.