Chapter 4: A Deadly Anniversary

"Good afternoon, everyone!" Isrina greeted the audience in the Baltimore UICA WARBLER Center. "I am Isrina Niang. Thank you so much for taking the time with us to celebrate the first anniversary of our worldwide MMORPG, Syanic Earth: Year 3225."

She pointed to the large screen with a title slide with the name of the MMORPG written in straight blue lines. Moving green hexagons surrounded the title, dilating before the audience's eyes. Applauses filled the assembly room as they admired the title page.

"We're proud to say that young players across the world are enjoying our game! I present the founder of the UICA! Please welcome President Kainos Cecilius!"

A tall man wearing a yellow UICA coat and white shirt walked out. The long-haired blonde man smiled at the crowd as everyone applauded. Isrina gave the admired man the mic as Cecilius replied with a friendly nod.

"Ah, thank you, Isrina!" Cecilius waved as Isrina walked out of the stage. "She has been as wonderful as always! And a pleasure to be here today, ladies and gentlemen! Before we begin our celebration, I want to discuss the current events I'm sure all of you are worried about."

The crowd was silent, eager to hear what the renowned UICA President had to say about the ongoing political conflict.

"I will keep it short. I apologize for the worries and concerns the frazzled field of politics has inflicted. None of you deserve to be troubled by such events. The UICA aims to create technology for those in need, including the Vulpi. Fanghui is a man driven by his hatred of our Vulpi friends we live alongside, and we're doing our best to protect them from persecution."

Cecilius gave a moment of silence.

"Now, we know you have many questions and concerns. I announce we will have a reception full of scrumptious snacks and drinks at our WARBLER Center's lobby, where we can discuss those worries over wine and cookies as gentlemen."

Cecilius cleared his throat. "Ahem! As we put our worries aside until fine refreshments, I present Syanic Earth Year 3225!"

Cecilius snapped his finger. With rock music, the game title turned into a spiraling vortex. The spinning circle of turquoise cybernetic ones and zeros stunned the crowd.

The spiral came to a stop. It burst lightning across the screen from the center. The audience cheered as the game's title reappeared and floated in a digital grid while the rock music ended with the guitar making a climactic drop.

***

"Nice job, Isrina!" A blonde girl closed her laptop. "You got the crowd's attention with that intro."

"I do what I can, Dorian," Isrina shrugged. "But certainly not as good as Cecilius back there."

The two ladies walked down the hallway together. Isrina was giving Dorian a tour of the Baltimore WARBLER Center, showing her the different work opportunities at the UICA.

"How's Shien?" Dorian adjusted her glasses. "I heard the goon squad was planning to hang out today in the Syanic Earth."

"He's doing fine," Isrina sighed. "He's already in the Syanic Earth now. You aren't going?"

"I'd love to, but I just thought it would be more productive to intern for the UICA today. Thanks for showing me around, Isrina."

"Of course! So, you are looking forward to being a game programmer for us?"

"Definitely. Computers are my cup of tea."

When the two walked into a room, they looked at the various holographic boards that displayed the world map view of Syanic Earth: Year 3225. Some crew members were zooming into the continents' terrain to correct any errors in the system. Lots of employees circled the round room on their computers to manage such a large MMORPG.