Chapter 10.

As we stood on that rooftop, the city lights twinkling like distant stars, I felt an overwhelming urge to open up to María. The night felt heavy with unspoken words, and I wanted her to understand me completely, just as I was beginning to understand her. I took a deep breath, gathering my thoughts.

"Do you ever feel like you're just... lost?" I began, my voice steady but soft. "Like you're drifting through life without really knowing who you are or where you belong?"

María turned to me, her expression serious. "All the time. It's like I'm on this constant search for something, but I don't even know what it is. I feel like I'm in this endless cycle of trying to fit into a mold that wasn't made for me. It's exhausting."

"Exactly!" I exclaimed, my heart racing. "Sometimes I feel like I'm drowning in expectations. My parents expect me to be this perfect daughter, and all I want to do is break free from that. I want to be me—whatever that looks like."

She nodded, her blue eyes searching mine. "I get that. My parents have this image of me, too. They want the perfect daughter who goes to church and dates the right kind of guy. But that's not me. I'm not that girl."

I leaned against the cool concrete wall, my heart pounding as I found the courage to share my truth. "You know, I've always felt like the black sheep. Growing up, I was the odd one out. I never fit in, not at school, not at home. It's like everyone else had their paths laid out for them while I was just... wandering."

María took a step closer, her presence warm and inviting. "You're not alone in that. I've felt that way, too. But being here with you, it's like I finally found someone who gets it. Someone who sees the real me."

"I see you, María," I said earnestly, my voice thick with emotion. "You have no idea how much it means to me to have you here. It feels like... like I'm finally seen for who I am, not just who everyone wants me to be."

"Olivia, you're incredible just as you are," she replied, her voice soft but filled with conviction. "You're brave, and you have this light that draws people to you, even if you can't see it. You make me feel like I can be myself without fear."

I swallowed hard, my emotions rising to the surface. "I've been so afraid for so long. Afraid of what my family would think, afraid of being judged by everyone around me. I've hidden myself away, trying to make everyone else happy. But with you... it's different. I don't want to hide anymore."

María stepped even closer, our bodies almost touching. "You don't have to hide from me, Olivia. I want to know all of you—the good, the bad, and everything in between. I want to be there for you, just like you're there for me."

The intensity of her words hit me like a wave, and I felt my heart swell. "I don't want to be just another girl in your life, María. I want to be special to you. You mean so much to me already."

She reached out, taking my hands in hers, her touch electrifying. "You are special to me, Olivia. You have no idea how much I've wanted to connect with someone like you. It feels like we were meant to find each other, like we were brought together for a reason."

I looked into her eyes, feeling the weight of her words wash over me. "I've never felt this way about anyone before. It's terrifying and exhilarating all at once. You make me want to be a better person."

"Me too," she admitted, her voice barely above a whisper. "With you, I feel alive. I want to explore everything with you—our dreams, our fears, our hopes. I want us to create a life where we can be ourselves without shame."

The sincerity in her gaze made my heart race. "I want that too, María. I want to be brave with you. I want to take on the world, side by side."

"Then let's do it," she said, determination lighting up her features. "Let's be each other's strength. We can face whatever comes our way. I'll be there for you, and I hope you'll be there for me."

"Always," I promised, my voice steady and resolute. "I'll always be there for you."

As we stood there, hands entwined under the stars, I realized that we were building something beautiful together—an emotional bond forged through understanding, love, and shared experiences. It was a connection that felt forbidden, yet so right.

"Do you ever wonder what it would be like to just run away?" I asked suddenly, the thought bubbling up inside me. "To leave everything behind and just... be free?"

"Every day," María replied, her voice filled with longing. "I dream about it all the time. Just you and me, somewhere far away where no one can judge us, where we can be who we really are without fear."

I smiled, the idea igniting a fire in my heart. "Let's do it then. Let's dream about it, and one day, maybe we can make it happen. Just think about all the possibilities, all the adventures we could have."

María's eyes sparkled with excitement. "Yes! We could go anywhere, do anything. I want to explore the world with you. I want to experience everything—love, laughter, freedom."

"I want that too," I said, feeling my heart swell with hope. "I want us to write our own story, one where we're free to love each other without fear."

As we stood on that rooftop, the city beneath us buzzing with life, I knew that we were just beginning to write our story. Our bond was deepening, becoming something beautiful and profound, a connection that defied the odds and challenged the expectations of the world around us.

With María by my side, I felt like I could finally breathe. Together, we could conquer anything. Together, we could be unstoppable.