Chapter 16: Jealous jealous girl

The rooftop felt like a refuge, a small sanctuary high above the chaos of the world below. I could see the streets of Los Angeles stretching out beneath me, filled with people going about their lives, but I felt a million miles away. The stars flickered above, their distant glow a stark contrast to the storm brewing inside me. I paced back and forth, the cool breeze brushing against my skin, but I barely noticed; all I could think about was María.
As the minutes ticked by, anticipation gnawed at my insides. I replayed the last time we were together, the way our lips had touched, the warmth of her hand in mine. It was intoxicating, yet now it felt tainted. My mind swirled with thoughts of her and Luke, and I felt a fire ignite within me—a flame of jealousy that threatened to consume everything.
The sound of footsteps brought me back to reality, and I turned to see María climbing the last few rungs of the fire escape. The moment our eyes met, my heart raced, but instead of joy, it was filled with bitterness. She looked beautiful, her golden hair catching the moonlight, her blue eyes sparkling like the stars above. But all I could think about was how she was with him.
"Hey, Olivia," she said, a smile breaking across her face. "I was looking forward to this."
"Yeah," | replied, forcing a smile of my own, though it felt like a mask over my true feelings. "Me too."
As she approached, I caught a glimpse of the fresh lipstick on her lips, a shade of pink I had always loved. But today, it felt like a weapon-something she wore for him.
"What's new with you and Luke?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady, but I could feel the edge creeping in.
Her smile faltered slightly, and she looked away. "We've been spending a lot of time together. He's... nice."
"Nice?" The word felt like venom on my tongue. "Is that all he is? Nice?"

"Olivia, what's wrong?" she asked, concern filling her voice.
"Nothing," I snapped, my emotions bubbling over. "Just tired of you wasting your time on him. You deserve so much better!"
María's brow furrowed, confusion etching her features. "Why do you care so much?
I'm happy, aren't I?"
I stepped closer, anger rising like a tide. "Happy? You call that happiness? He doesn't care about you like I do! He's just some guy from church trying to play the hero, and you're letting him!"
"Olivia, stop-"
"No! You need to hear this. I swear, if he hurts you, I'll kill him. I'll kill him, and then maybe l'll just kill myself too!" The words slipped out before I could stop them, raw and unfiltered, a dark promise fueled by jealousy and desperation.
María's eyes widened in shock, and for a moment, I saw fear flicker across her face.
"You're being ridiculous," she said, her voice trembling. "You can't just say things like that. It's not okay."
"But it's how I feel!" I shouted, frustration spilling over. "I can't stand the thought of you being with someone who doesn't see you for who you really are. I want you, María! I need you!"
She took a step back, the hurt in her eyes cutting deeper than any knife. "Olivia, you're my best friend. I care about you, but you can't just threaten people because you're jealous! That's not love!"
"Maybe it is," | retorted, my voice dropping to a whisper. "Maybe this is what love looks like for me. I have nothing else to live for if you choose him over me."
The weight of my words hung in the air, heavy and suffocating. I turned away from her, unable to meet her gaze, afraid of what I might see-disappointment, disgust, maybe even pity. I couldn't bear it.

"Olivia"" she said softly, stepping closer. "You're not alone. I promise you're not. I never meant to hurt you."
I shook my head, tears threatening to spill. "You don't get it. You're everything to me, and I can't lose you to him."
The silence stretched between us, thick and suffocating. My heart raced as I fought against the emotions threatening to overtake me. "What if I'm not enough?" I finally whispered.
"You are enough," she replied, her voice breaking. "But you need to let me make my own choices. You can't control who I love."
I felt a pain in my chest, a mixture of jealousy and despair. "I don't want to control you. I just want to be with you."
María reached out, her fingers brushing against my arm. "I care about you, Olivia.
But you have to trust me. Just give me time."
"Time," I scoffed, the word bitter in my mouth. "Time is the one thing I can't afford.
What if it's too late by the time you realize what you're throwing away?"
She looked down, tears glistening in her eyes. "I don't know, Olivia. But I promise, I'll figure it out. Just please, don't say things like that again. I can't lose you too."
The weight of her words pressed heavily on my heart, and as I turned to face her, I could see the pain etched across her features. I felt helpless, lost in a sea of emotions that I couldn't control.
"I'm sorry," I finally whispered, the weight of regret settling over me like a shroud. "I just... I can't help how I feel."
María stepped back, her face a mixture of sadness and understanding. "I know. But please, Olivia. You need to find a way to deal with this. I can't be your only reason to live."

As she turned away, the chasm between us felt insurmountable. I could feel the anger and jealousy clawing at my insides, but deep down, I knew she was right. I had to learn to let go, to accept that she had a life outside of me.
But as I watched her leave, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was losing the one person who truly understood me, and that realization left me hollow.