Chapter 11: the night

As we stood there, the city lights twinkling like stars below, I felt an ache in my chest that begged to be released. I took a deep breath, my heart racing, knowing that I needed to share more of my truth with María. I wanted her to understand the weight I carried, the pain that lingered just beneath the surface.

"Can I tell you something?" I asked, my voice trembling slightly. María nodded, her expression encouraging, her eyes locked onto mine, giving me the strength to continue. "It's about my dad. He... he treats me really badly."

Her brows furrowed with concern. "What do you mean? How does he treat you?"

I swallowed hard, feeling a lump in my throat. "He's always so angry. It's like I can never do anything right in his eyes. No matter how hard I try, I just disappoint him. He yells at me for the smallest things—my grades, my friends, my appearance. It's like he's always looking for something to criticize."

María stepped closer, her hand squeezing mine tightly. "I'm so sorry, Olivia. That sounds really tough. No one should have to feel like that, especially not from their own dad."

"It gets worse," I continued, my voice barely above a whisper. "When I told him I wanted to try out for the school play, he laughed in my face. He said it was a waste of time and that I should focus on things that matter. He just doesn't get me at all. I want to express myself, to be creative, but he makes me feel like that's wrong. Like I'm wrong."

"God, that's horrible," María said, her voice filled with empathy. "You deserve to be supported, to be encouraged. You're so talented, and I can't believe he doesn't see that."

I looked down, feeling the tears prick at my eyes. "It's not just that. He doesn't even know who I am. He thinks he knows what's best for me, but he doesn't even try to understand me. It's like I'm living in this shadow, constantly trying to prove that I'm worthy of his love, but no matter what I do, it's never enough."

María's grip on my hand tightened, her voice firm and unwavering. "You are more than enough, Olivia. You're incredible just as you are. You don't need to prove anything to him. Your worth isn't defined by how he sees you."

"I know that in my heart," I said, wiping away a tear that had escaped. "But it's hard to remember when he's in my face, reminding me of all the ways I fail. It makes me question everything about myself. Sometimes I just want to scream and tell him that I'm not his little puppet. I'm a person with dreams and feelings."

María stepped closer, her eyes shimmering with emotion. "I wish I could take that pain away from you. You shouldn't have to carry that burden alone. You deserve to be loved for who you are, not who he wants you to be."

"I don't even know what that feels like," I admitted, my voice cracking. "It's like I'm trapped in this cycle of disappointment and shame. I just want to break free, to find a way to be myself without feeling guilty or ashamed."

"Then let's break free together," María said, determination lighting up her features. "I want you to know that I'm here for you. We'll figure this out. You're not alone in this."

I looked into her eyes, feeling a sense of comfort wash over me. "You make me feel like I can fight back, like I can stand up for myself. You give me strength I didn't even know I had."

María smiled softly, her gaze unwavering. "You have so much strength inside you, Olivia. You just need to tap into it. I'll be right by your side every step of the way. We can support each other, push each other to be our true selves."

As we stood together, hand in hand, I felt the weight of my father's words begin to lift, if only just a little. With María by my side, I knew I could confront my demons. Together, we could carve out a space where we were both free to be who we truly were—without fear, without shame.

"I never thought I could feel this way about anyone," I admitted, my heart swelling with gratitude. "You've changed everything for me, María. I don't know what I would do without you."

"You'll never have to find out," she replied, her voice filled with warmth. "I'm not going anywhere. We're in this together, no matter what."

In that moment, I realized that I was no longer alone. With María's unwavering support, I felt a flicker of hope igniting inside me. We were two lost souls finding our way in a world that often tried to tear us apart, but together, we were becoming something beautiful—a force to be reckoned with.