Chapter 22

The days that followed that magical morning were unlike anything I had ever experienced. For the first time, Conrad and I spent real time together—not just in the structured confines of duty, but truly getting to know one another. It felt like we had unlocked something hidden between us, a deeper connection that neither of us had dared to explore before.

We laughed more than we ever had. I learned that despite his often serious demeanor, Conrad had a dry sense of humor that caught me off guard. He told stories of his youth that made me giggle, and I shared my own experiences from the Academy, surprising him with tales of mischief I hadn’t thought to mention before. The more time we spent together, the more the tension that had once defined our relationship faded away, replaced by something softer and warmer.

I began to wake up each morning with a sense of anticipation, excited to see what the day would bring. We explored the palace grounds, walked through the gardens, and even ventured into the royal library where he showed me his favorite books. It was a slow but steady process, peeling back the layers of the man I had married.

It was during one of these peaceful days that everything changed.

We had just finished dinner, a quiet meal shared together in the privacy of a small dining room Conrad had arranged just for us. He had grown more considerate lately, always finding ways to ensure we could have moments alone, away from the eyes of the court.

After the meal, as we sat lingering over dessert, he turned to me with that familiar, thoughtful look in his eyes. "Rosalie," he began, his voice careful, "I know we’ve been enjoying these past few days... but I have to ask. Would you be willing to try another attempt soon?"

I froze, my spoon hovering in mid-air as his words sank in. "Another attempt?"

He nodded slowly, his eyes scanning my face as if trying to gauge my reaction. "I know it’s not something either of us enjoy discussing, but we can’t ignore our duty. The pressure for an heir is... persistent."

I swallowed hard, my heart thudding as I realized something that had been lurking at the back of my mind for days. I had been so caught up in the joy of spending time with him, in the happiness of finally feeling connected, that I hadn’t noticed.

"My cycle..." I whispered, my voice trailing off as my eyes widened.

Conrad raised an eyebrow, clearly confused by the sudden shift in my tone. "What about it?"

I looked up at him, my pulse racing. "I’m late. I hadn’t even realized it until now, but... I haven’t had my cycle this month."

The silence that followed was thick with unspoken possibility. His eyes widened in shock before a flicker of something else—hope—sparked in their depths.

"Are you sure?" he asked quietly, leaning forward slightly as if the weight of the moment was too much to bear.

I nodded slowly, my own breath catching in my throat. "I think so. I mean, I’m usually very regular, and this... this is unusual."

Without missing a beat, Conrad stood from his chair, the sudden burst of energy surprising me. "We need to find out," he said firmly, his voice steady but laced with urgency.

Before I could protest, he was already halfway to the door, calling for a physician. My heart raced as I followed him, barely able to process what was happening. Could it be true? After months of trying, of disappointment after disappointment, could I finally be carrying our child?

It wasn’t long before the physician arrived, conducting a series of tests to confirm what I could hardly dare to believe. Time seemed to stretch on endlessly as we waited, each minute feeling like an eternity. I barely breathed, my mind swirling with hopes and fears. What if this was another false hope? What if something was wrong?

But then, finally, the physician returned with a smile that said everything before his words did.

"Your Majesty," he said, his voice filled with quiet reverence, "I am pleased to inform you that the Queen is with child."

The words hung in the air, almost too heavy to grasp at first. I blinked, my heart thudding so loudly I was sure everyone could hear it. I glanced at Conrad, waiting for his reaction, feeling my own emotions crashing in waves—joy, disbelief, relief.

He was silent for a moment, his face unreadable as he stared at the physician. And then, suddenly, a smile broke across his face—wide and genuine, the kind of smile I hadn’t seen from him in what felt like forever.

"She’s pregnant?" he repeated, almost as if he couldn’t believe it.

The physician nodded, confirming what we had both longed to hear. "Yes, Your Majesty."

Conrad turned to me then, his eyes shining with a mix of joy and amazement. And before I knew it, he was across the room, sweeping me up in his arms with a laugh that bubbled from deep within his chest. He spun me around, lifting me off the ground as if I weighed nothing at all. I couldn’t help but laugh along with him, the sheer happiness of the moment washing over me like a warm tide.

"I can’t believe it," he said, his voice full of wonder as he set me down but didn’t let go of me. His hands were still on my waist, his forehead resting against mine as he grinned down at me. "You’re pregnant."

The words sounded strange but beautiful coming from his lips, and I felt a swell of emotion so powerful it nearly overwhelmed me. I had never seen Conrad like this—so unguarded, so openly happy. For a moment, all of the weight, all of the pressure that had been crushing us both disappeared.

"I’m pregnant," I echoed, the reality sinking in at last.

He kissed me then, a soft but passionate kiss that stole my breath away. It wasn’t the kiss of duty or expectation. It was a kiss filled with pure, unbridled joy. When he pulled back, he looked at me like I was the most precious thing in the world.

"Rosalie," he whispered, his voice filled with a warmth that made my heart flutter. "Thank you."

I shook my head, overwhelmed with emotion. "It’s not just me, Conrad. We did this together."

He smiled, his hands tightening slightly on my waist. "Still... thank you."

We stood there for a long moment, just holding each other, the weight of what we had achieved sinking in. This was the beginning of something new—something we had fought for, something we had both longed for. And for the first time in a long time, I felt like everything might just be okay.

"I’m going to be a father," Conrad whispered, more to himself than to me.

"And I’m going to be a mother," I replied softly, the words still feeling strange but wonderful on my tongue.

We didn’t need to say anything else. The joy between us was palpable, and for that night, everything else faded away—the pressure, the responsibilities, the expectations. It was just us, and the tiny life growing inside of me, a promise of a new future we were building together.

For the first time in months, hope bloomed in my heart, and I knew that no matter what came next, we would face it together.